Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lansing Legislator... Oops
Quote | Reply
Race was great. This was a 1/2 IM and short course (1.5km swim, 31mi bike, 6.5mi run). The course is awesome- nice swim in clean Lake Ovid, the bike course changes take advantage of the difficulty of riding on Sheppardsville and Hollister Rds, the run was well shaded and had a good steady uphill to the finish. A challenging course that everyone should consider doing (winning time in the 1/2 was 4:38 by local stud Gabe Hamer, so it ain't easy). After event food was great, good raffle, and the people from Active Release were AWESOME! I think I fell in love with the woman that worked me over after the race, what an amazing feeling.

BUT.... the volunteers at the intersection of Price Rd and Hollister Rd were sending athletes north at the beginning of the bike, when the should have been going south. Oops. The mistake was caught and corrected by having athletes not do the Hollister section on when the came back to the end of the loop. The end result is this: about half the short course people did 22mi while the other half did 32mi. The 1/2 IM people were just fine.

So no short course awards were handed out. But 3Disciplines promised 1/2 off entrance fee for next year, so that is good.

All in all, I hope this race returns. Great venue and great course.
Quote Reply
Re: Lansing Legislator... Oops [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i heard something about that but didn't get any details. outside of that volunteer direction mixup...3D put on an awesome show today.

i'm trying without success to think of another event in the region which has as much course support as this one. cool fluids at aid stations is a welcome plus. flat cola with ice was a treat.

we started on time, no weather issues. bike course (1/2) was well monitored and pretty nice roads with those big rollers. run course was great

i had some difficulties today but they were me, not the event. i almost never get headaches but a monster dropped down on me on the run. i wore some new glasses today for the first time, gave great contrast with the light cloud cover up front. i think i squinted more than normal as a result and that may have been the cause. finished but oh so slow.

(edit-adding following text: forgot about the bee sting. one got caught in my helmet near the end of the bike. before i could stop and get it out the bugger nailed me. maybe that had something to do with the headache?)

what about that Mike Hermanson? he's from over my way. he is 18. pulled off a 5:14

next year this event will pull 5-600, Steelhead or not the week before.

Demerly needs to find a new picture other than the shuttle breaking up if he wants to talk more about this event. maybe i'll send him one with a couple hundred smiling faces.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Last edited by: Jim Mishler: Aug 14, 05 15:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Astro- I did this one today as well. Hell of a sunny day for forcasted thunderstorms and rain. Temps were in the mid seventies at race time. It was my first 1/2 and was glad when it was finished, as I did it with the flu. Litterally crammed food down the gullet on the bike to keep fueled. Swam like a seal, but my wife said the first guy out of the water was out in 25 minutes- HS that's quick I think.

The bike course was super and those rollers were fun. Disc got a little squirrely on the chipped asphault by the first turnaround at the bottom of the hill. I thought I had a flat at first. Nice and cool on the first lap with no sun. The second loop is where I encountered that intersection that was mentioned. Another guy and I sped up to it and one volunteer was pointing one direction and another was pointing in another direction and they guy yells 'Which way for the 1/2?!' and they both repeated their pointing opposite directions. Finally a deputy pointed straight through and that's the way we went. Thank God he was right and we quickly caught the rest of the 1/2ers that were ahead of us. I think it is important to note that although the volunteers should know which way to direct riders, it is ultimately the riders responsibilty to know where to go. We all get maps and there are at least 5 posted in transition and it's on the web site too. Cool drinks, very responsive and helpful.

I thought the run was tough between miles 3-4 and 7-9. I particularly did not like winding through the campground- kind of confusing at first. The nutrition plan worked out fine and I had no feelings of bonking, just puking. The joints were a bit sore at mile 10, as I have never run more than 10 miles at one time, especially after 57.5 (confirmed by three others I spoke to afterwards) miles on the bike.

Had a nice soak in the lake afterward to wash off and went to dinner with my private fan club. Very well done event and will definitely be doing it again next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my computer said 57.5 miles when I finished, so based on what others said I think the bike was a touch long. this was my first 1/2 and I definitely liked it. the ice cold water at every mile of the run was very helpful to say the least. I had signed up for steelhead but had to work that weekend, I was relieved to find this race only 3.5 to 4 hours from Chicago. I'll probably give steelhead a go next year but I wish the best for this race, hopefully they both can prosper.
Quote Reply