Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

(Potentially stupid) IM race number question
Quote | Reply
For those of you that don't change during an IM, what do you do with your bike race number when you're out on the run? Just keep wearing it?

I know that seems like a ridiculously studid question, but it's one of those simply things that's never explained anywhere.

Thanks

-Nick
Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [NMath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wear your number on a race belt and turn it around for the run.

They discuss this at every IM race briefing.
Last edited by: Beast: Aug 14, 05 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [Beast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [NMath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually they give you TWO numbers, one with your last name (most people choose to use this on the bike) and one with your first name (most people use this on the run.) If you use two, bring two race belts and just put the second one in your T2 bag. If you only use one, use your FIRST name!

Why?

Because when you are dragging arse halfway through the run and someone yells your first name, you'll be stoked. It's like having thousands of friends out there and it helped a ton.

Konrad
konrad@konradonthemic.com
http://www.konradonthemic.com
Race emcee services
Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [konradr_9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you use belt it's good idea to leave the second number in your bike to run bag just in case you loose the number you will have one for the run and not get penalized if the new federation for ironman have the same rules as usat did. (they've been using cheap paper numbers lately intead of the tougher tyvex numbers of old days so they can print pretty pics and your name on it and when they get wet they tear easy. I made mistake pinning my bike number on my jersey at lake placid last year and all 4 pins ripped through the paper. Lucily I had race belt(don't ask why I didn't wear it on the bike just dumb I guess) in the bike to run bag so ran back to the bags and got my other number. Needless to say I use the belt all the way but also have the second number in my t2 bag just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [gholmes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll second this. lost my number at moo last year and like an idiot didn't have a 2nd in my bag. thankfully the boy got a volly to put it in. as i ran thru transition hollering for a replacement number, the kind girl that dumped my bag out calmly asked 'which number, this number?' she was my new best friend. this year i'm going to put duct tape the paper before i pin it on.

k
Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [gholmes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you pinned your number...but I've wanted to email Peter Reid the past 2 years about his failure to pin his number correctly.

Here's a tutorial...although doesn't mean much if you tear the number putting your jersey on (from stretching).

1) Crumple the number....doesn't catch as much wind/softens it up.

2) Don't use the holes on the number..pin in and out of the number and jersey (i.e. - don't pin the edge of the number).

Like this...

Quote Reply
Re: (Potentially stupid) IM race number question [konradr_9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Because when you are dragging arse halfway through the run and someone yells your first name, you'll be stoked. It's like having thousands of friends out there and it helped a ton.
Actually, I had to choke back tears the first time. Believe it or not, I didn't know how someone would know my name out there.
Quote Reply