Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: Kestrel Talon cable noise
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else experience the uncomfortable sound of their cables hitting inside the frame when crossing over railroad tracks and on rough county roads? Is there a technique to keep them from making so much noise?
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Kestrel Talon cable noise [trianimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't ride over railroad tracks or rough country roads.

And to say the obvious for this site:

Switch to a Cervelo P3 Carbon.
Last edited by: sbr140.6: Aug 14, 05 7:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tape off a small spot ,dab some clear silicone at the contact point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem when I built up my Talon -- the frame wasn't shipped with the grommets, so I just ran the housing through the frame. After reaching the point of insanity from that noise, I called Kestrel. They sent me the grommets, I reran the cables (no housing through the frame), and the noise stopped.

If you don't have housing running through the frame, I don't know what to tell you.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Kestrel Talon cable noise [sbr140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you such an asshole? BTW, a cervelo P3 carbon is NOT the only bike to ride in a triathlon or during a training ride.

And another thing, if you'd like, I'll give you free lessons on being courteous and respectful to strangers the next time our paths cross. Perhaps a little time out is in order until you can sit at the table with the grown ups.
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Kestrel Talon cable noise [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the (brass?) cable ends at the frame insertion and exit holes, is it a DITY thing or does a LBS have to perform this? I'd like to go ahead and DITY the cables and housings anyway as they are over a year old and I think the teflon coated types will perform better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your housing is capped at the brass grommets, then I'm not sure if replacing the cables will fix your noise problem. My noise was caused by the housing hitting the inside of the frame.

I replaced the cables and housing on my own, but it was a pain -- I didn't think to somehow attach the new cables to the old ones before pulling them out, so I was fishing around in the frame for a while. (Cervelo's definitely got the edge here!) If you lack patience, it might be an LBS job, but it's definitely something you can do yourself.

Now that I think about it, I sometimes hear a clicking noise when going over rough roads that is caused by the housing hitting the side of the head tube. Maybe that's the source?

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, that makes sense, anyone else have an idea on how to thread a new set of cables?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weeeelll, I'm about to tear my bike down in the next day or so, and here's my plan: Tie a piece of string to the old cable and the new cable. When I pull the old one out (hopefully) the new one will follow. We'll see how well it works.

Seriously, if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them, too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about tying off a piece of string to the end of the new cable and then using a vacum cleaner to suck the string through the hole, then pulling the cable through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see it now. Cables and housing? Check! Extra cables and housing? Check! Housing caps? Check! Cable caps? Check! Cable cutters? Check!

... String? Check! ... Vacuum cleaner? Vacuum cleaner?

Good luck with that one! But, hey, if it works ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
taping them might work bette than string. Just a thought. Or better yet, get extra housing, run that through the frame. Run the new cable through the housing. Pull the housing through the frame and your left with the new cable inside the frame.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help: Kestrel Talon cable noise [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can't run the cables through the frame. Is there anyone else who is familiar with this type of cable stop/replacement?
Quote Reply