Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help with ebay question
Quote | Reply
Hi! I am selling an item (a zipp 404 front wheel) on ebay, and i have just been asked if i will ship to australia. I am new at the ebay selling bit, but I know must people refuse to sell overseas. Why is that? What is the risk if the buyer is picking up the shipping cost? THanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Please help with ebay question [Silky Johnston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
... one reason some don't like to ship to foreign countries has to do with Customs and the potetial for a hidden cost such as import taxes. This is really a problem when it comes to determining the actual cost.... unless, you assume the import tax will the charged and include it in the cost of shipping.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Joe. The one big problem are the import duties. The buyer can really get sticker shock when they get an additional $$ bill from their country for importing the wheels. You have to tell the buyer that they are resonsible for any and all import duties that their country will impose on the wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duties aren't a problem if you make it clear that they are a risk the buyer will have to agree to take.

On shipping, a lot of high volume sellers have accounts with shipping services that are limited strictly to domestic shipping. I think it's bogus, but I run into it all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help with ebay question [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask them to contact Qantas air freight and arrange at their own cost - for a pick up from your location - obviously after you have received payment.

All you need to do it pack the wheel sufficiently - you get paid - the wheel gets picked up - the buyer will have it inside of a week and he will pay for all freight and duties independently of the auction.

Pretty simple!!!

Good luck - I have shipped items both to Aus and from Aus using this exact same method.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Zipp 2001, complete bike from a guy in Australia, I live in Florida. The total cost of shipping and extras (don't know if there was any at all) was just under $90.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My business ships overseas every day. The key is to ship via an insured and trackable method, but yes, caution the customer that they are responsible for determining and paying for any import duties.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For most.....there are enough buyers w/i the US, so why bother with all the hassle of shipping overseas.

However, in my case...I've done it a couple times because I enjoyed the correspondence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sell things on eBay, and typically I don't ship overseas. That said I have done it before. In fact, I shipped a decorator plate to Australia a couple of months ago. The lady who bought it asked me if I would put a birthday card in the package so that it would go through customs easier. She paid me an extra $5.00 so I agreed. It went well and I would so it again if necessary. But it is on a case by case basis and I have to feel like I trust the person AND they have to keep the communication up.

Bernie

Re: Please help with ebay question [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be like that, please be willing to ship to Australia :) Just make them aware they are responsible for customs etc. Bike stuff here has a huge markup, I bought a Hed3 and HED disk new in the US had them shipped to Australia paid customs and it still cost about $Au800 less than I could get them here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't see any risk on ebay as a seller. Once the money is in your account what can go wrong ? The duties are the responsibility of the buyer. Best to give a freight estimate first as it can get expensive and some people don't seem to realise that and therefore back out of the deal.
Quote Reply