Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do?
Quote | Reply
A little background information: I've been riding since probably before learning how to walk, have changed tires (tyres when I used to race in Europe) and over the years have had more flats than Thai hookers have had GIs. I only ride Vitttoria tires now (except Dugast tubulars sometimes - http://www.a-dugast.com/ - a real endulgence) - and then only the open corsas (the open pave are good for winter too, if you have the frame clearance) for clinchers. The tires are generally overpriced in the US so I sometimes order them from a store in the UK that rhymes with "dibble" or wait until my brother comes over to visit and trade for oreo cookies (apparently oreos are non-existent or way overpriced in the UK).

The story: So, my girlfriend has a lemond with bontrager select wheels. She broke a couple of spokes a year ago since the store she bought it from (referenced below) had the rear derailleur nicely adjsuted to "eat wheel". I gave her a spare wheel with tire at that time since she wanted to ride and didn't want to go to the store the next day. After a little while, she got the spokes replaced but didn't use the wheel.

Well, she had a little encounter with a honda element (apparently the element comes with a windscreen that makes cyclists invisible - especially those riding a red bike whilst wearing red top). The spare wheel is now toast so back to the bontrager select. The front tire is now pretty worn so let's replace both (brother is on the way over from the UK - buy oreos at costco and swap for vittorias).

So, we all know vittoria tires are looser than the above mentioned Thai hookers - see the venerable Hed's disclaimer: "Warning: we do not recommend using Vredestein or Vittoria clincher tires on our wheels. They are a loose fit, and have blown off of our wheels. We do not know whether the fault is in the tire or they were mounted incorrectly. Since loosing a tire while riding could be dangerous, we advise against their use."

So I try and fit the new vittoria open corsa cx tires on - front a little tight (relatively), but pushed on with thumbs - no problem. The back tire just won't got on. Vittorias are easy so I'm a little surprised. I wonder whether this the specific, individual, maybe defective tire. Take a tyre off my race wheels (mavic) that just slips on normally - same problem. Take tire off hed 3, same problem. So in my mind rear bontrager select is ****ed. "Hey, let's make a wheel where no-one can change the tire."

What do to: Send girlfriend to store in MA that begins with the word 'wheel' and ends with a word that ryhmes with 'jerks'. Dude in store says "I'm an expert at putting on tires. Takes three minutes doing whatever with Hed's claimed (potentially dangerous, maybe even fatally) loose tires, finally gets it on, and then says "yes, it is a tight fit. If you get a flat tomorrow, you'll have problem, but a month from now, it'll be looser." Plus, made girlfriend feel like spoiled, complaining, whining bitch.

Unacceptable?: Vittoria open corsa tires are super supple, loose and you shouldn't have this problem. The store's service seems absolutely unacceptable to me. So, what the frik should I do?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do? [speedytimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Ride

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do? [speedytimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still not sure what the problem is. Can you elaborate?

They installed the tire so they did you a favor.

You say, "Plus, made girlfriend feel like spoiled, complaining, whining bitch. "

is this what you're complaining about?

what did they say that was so bad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, by the time I got to the end of the story I had already forgotten the details of the back story and I didn't feel like reading the whole thing over again. But it doesn't sound like the bike shop guy was out of line to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't know who did what to whom....i just want another story for the sidebars

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duuude,

It could have been MUCH worse than that...you could have sent her to that other store on Brighton Ave. in Allston.

Background: I've made 75% of my purchases there since getting involved with this sport. I spent roughly $5000 in there last year alone. They are even a sponsor of my tri team.

The Story: I commute to work on a fixie. Riding home on Friday, I managed to snap a link on my chain. IBC (oops, did I just say that?) was the closest bike shop to me. I walked it over there and purchased a replacement. I then very politely asked the gentleman helping me if they had time to install it for me, since I didn't have a chain tool at my disposal and wanted to ride it home. He looked up at me like I had 3 heads, and said, "No." That's it-one word, no explanation. Nothing. Now correct me if I'm out of line, but I think that is entirely unacceptable. It would have taken less than five minutes for him to throw it on for me, and I even would have paid labor charges if so desired. Whatever happened to good customer service and business principles? How on God's green earth does this bike shop stay afloat when it treats its customers as such? I have had similar experiences EVERY TIME I step foot in there (selling me a MTB chain for my obvious Cervelo Soloist road bike sitting right in front of employee, for one). UNACCEPTABLE!!
Quote Reply
Re: Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go ride? Sure, but what happens when you're stuck up somewhere in New Hampshire with a tire that even Arnie (CA's Goverantor) couldn't remove and you start hearing the banjo music from deliverance?

I'd expect the guy in the the store would say "f**k, this sure is tight, I'd never want to get stuck riding this wheel, if I ever get a flat I'm going to have to call my mamma. Let's see what bontrager can do. Afterall, you're trying to put on one of the loosest tires on Hed's danger list."

If someone buys something from a store that is defective or unuseable, I expect they deal with the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do? [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem: vittoria tire will only fit on wheel with excessive effort by Mr. Dude who works in bike shop (a tire pro). Who wants to be sitting by the side of the road exerting so much pressure to get the tire off/on to fix a potential flat resulting in both kidneys being forced through their rectum due to unhuman amounts of pressure exerted to get (let's say it again) Hed's super loose danger tire onto a rim?

To the unbiased observer, getting the tire on the rim involves an undue amount of effort. The store should realise this, accept this and try and suggest a solution other than "maybe in a month it will be looser". This is shockingly bad customer service. Making a customer feel as if they are complaining and unreasonable in this instance is BS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you didn't say so much stupid crap you would have more people helping you out.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your subject line reads:

Quote:
Changing a flat + bike shop bitch

That's two subjects. I am not qualified to comment on the first, but as to the second, I'd dump her.
Last edited by: Monk: Aug 13, 05 17:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also dont get it....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why should the guy kiss ass just to change your tire? he didnt make the wierd tire or the wierd wheel. he just works at a bike shop. he prob makes $8 an hour. maybe your gf was whining a lot. maybe he had a long day. big deal. no offense. just another side to the story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhmmm, like most I still dont get your problem. You took a wheel in asked them to put a tire on it they did. They even told you it was a bit tight. But they did get it on.

I guess they could have tried to sell you a new tire or wheel?

Your original note was so wierd and twisted that I could not figure much of it out. What exactly did you buy from this store. The wheel was over a yr old, and you bought the tire with some oreo cookies off a plane. So what did the store sell you?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y'all try and put ANY tire on a Shamal HPW12? I think the rim is to big....they are all a PITA...but will hold a shit ton of pressure.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still don't get it. Why are you mad at the store? Be mad at Bontrager. I've also lost some skin trying to get tires on Bontrager rims.

So why is that the shop's fault. They did exacltly what you asked them to do. Put the tire on the rim. They also told you the truth. It's a bitch putting tires on these rims.

I take the consumer's side on most cases, but I just don't see much to go on here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never knew that about Hed wheels and Vittoria tires. I have found Rubinos to be a very tight fit, whereas the Open Corso EVO is just about right. I guess I'll go to the Hed website and track this down further.
Quote Reply
Re: Changing a flat + bike shop bitch - what to do? [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have to admit that I don't get it either, unless....I get it now, this is a riddle right? And the answer is that your girlfriend is the Thai Hooker, or a dude. Or both, Ugh. Maybe I don't get it.
Quote Reply