Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by h2ofun [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: h2ofun: Aug 13, 05 9:00
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, I am not disputing that most of the racers come from California but, according to USAT demographics, there are three times the number of annual members on the east coast and if you include the south and Texas, four times.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dunno how many times I need to say "Santa Cruz". There are some issues...who cares...make it happen and you'll have a "nats" worth the name.

ot
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if there are so many athletes east of the rockies, where are they come nationals??? If Californains are the only ones willing to shell it out, suck it up, and go to nationals, even when it has been held predominately in the middle and east, then it ought to be where it is more conveinent for them, puting aside the better race locations we have out here....
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave,

Good for you, stay out there. . . I don't really care. Oh and by the way. .. your post made little to no sense.

1) You never explained your statement "Yep, and there is a reason for things being more expensive in Calif" ok, explain.

2) "back east", so you are talking about midwest or east coast? Your house went up by 50%? Good for you. . now you have to sell it to realize that appreciation. . .it is all unrealized appreciation till you sell, then where you going to live? Oh yeah, your values will go down. . .just wait. Your house is a liability not an asset. But that is a different lesson so keep doing what you are doing.

3) That is great you can walk out your back door and go for a swim. You should get a t-shirt made up that says that so everyone knows.

4) Save all your energy for your international Triathlon. . . you are so cool! Damn... how do you survive just being so cool?

Later
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't help but be a bit put off by your post, since I reside in KC and was signed up for the race today. Yes, the weather is unpredictable - but that is not Kansas City specific. Last summer we had gorgeous weather here, but that obviously did not hold true for today. If I were to race in CA and there was an earthquake, I wouldn't think "God, CA totally sucks, no one in there right mind should race/live/train here." I'd think, "What a crappy coincidence that the weekend I'm here to race MOTHER NATURE has made it impossible." BTW, we hadn't had rain in 3 weeks, so the storms were a crappy coincidence.

Without getting into the rag on USAT mode, Mark Livesay (race director) puts on OUTSTANDING races. The majority of past participants would probably agree with that statement. In addition, KC is centrally located. I know it's hard to believe that California is not the center of the universe, but there ARE triathletes in Florida, east coast and midwest. It is most likely cheaper and quicker for those people to get to KC than CA.

Finally, be glad that you only are out the race fee. At least you didn't spend travel/lodging money. I feel horrible for the folks that did.

Hope you don't want to race in Kona - it's pretty hot and humid there, too. (And, gasp, no wetsuit swim!) Maybe you could petition and have the race moved to CA. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those of us who live east of the Rockies know better than to waste our money going to Missouri.

And, since worlds are in Hawaii, very convenient to California, if I lived in California I might consider suffering through Missouri for the opportunity to race in Hawaii.

One other point....AG nationals was in Idaho for two years, were you complaining then about the race still not being close enough to California? Many east coast people went to Idaho those years, it was a fabulous venue and a great location.

I think your information is wrong about the race being in the east too often. I can't remember the last time nationals was in the east. We had Idaho for two years, Louisiana for two years, before that we had St. Joseph, Missouri, for two years, do you get the picture? Oh, now I remember, we had Columbia, Maryland in 1997, fabulous race director Rob Vigorito and a challenging course. So, east coast nationals once in 8 years. It's been in the middle of the country quite a bit, but certainly not on the east coast too often.

BrokenSpoke
Last edited by: brokenspoke: Aug 13, 05 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Monty,

I do not think Californians are the only ones "willing to shell it out, suck it up, and go to nationals".

I did a quick sort and count using the published USAT start list for registered female participants and found CA to have 66 of the 481 total.

I did a quick sort and count using the published USAT start list for registered male participants and found CA to have 88 of the 691 total.

Combining the two groups you have 154 of 1172 or in round number 13% of the total.

I think it would be cool to have Age Group Nationals in California. We enjoyed our trip from NC to Auburn, CA but to imply that all the good action is in CA is to overstate your case. There are fast people and great race venues all over this country.
Last edited by: gc: Aug 13, 05 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya think if World's is in Hawaii that you would wanna race in simulated race conditions? Hot, humid, windy, etc. Why do you think most triathletes who race the biggie in Kona come to Lubbock for Buffalo Springs? They don't exactly head to Colorado for a Half-IM, do they?

"Now, I still would like to "qualify" for the half AG championship. I think you have to "earn" spots to this race? I also am going to try and qualify

for Boston. I will never win, but, nationals with folks who can not even win their local Tri events."

WTF? You and Larry crack me up. So let's say you barely make the AG Q-standard of sub-5:10 w/ a 5:09---you still going? Yeah, that's what I thought.

If Joe S. makes the cut, wants to go to Nationals for the ass-kicking experience, how does that affect you?

BTW, I would love to see some of you weather-spoiled, pussified Californians come to Texas for a mid-July race.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crummy location? It never rains California, but what about the earth quakes, mud slides, fires, traffic, pollution, etc. I do not know how anyone can blame the location for the cancellation of today's race. Rain in Kansas City in August is rare. I have lived here for 30 years and can't remember a rain of this magnitude in the month of August. It does not rain in Phoenix either, but rain hit there also. This would have been a first class race with a first class race director. Sorry you could not handle the heat, humidity, and the non-wetsuit swim. I guess they need to move the Ironman Championships out of Kona also. I love California, but you are mistaken if you think that it is the only place that can host a great triathlon.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I said was the middle and the east, not just the east. I thought Idaho was a great venue for the race, I wish it would have stayed there. And as you point out, nationals have not been in CA for quite some time. I;m not married to the Ca location, I would just like to see the race in a place where we would all like to vacation. Somewhere easy for all to get to with bikes and all. I'm not bagging on the race directors of the races, just USAT for their highest bidder mentality, and screw us all that have to actually travel to these races....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50% in 5 years????

Try doubling in 24 months in central CA.

Post deleted by h2ofun [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great weather?? crap, 21 days in a row over 100. you Norcal folks are spoiled. ;-)

Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooh It's to hot !!! I get to hot. We do it better in California. Don't make me gag.

Thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just like the tech stocks in the year 2000. . .

Oh wait, that is right, California wasn't effected at all by the tech stocks crapping out. . . my bad!!!! You better buy 10 more houses so you can then have 150% appreciation in the next 2 years. . .heck everyone should move to California and buy houses and make a ton of money. . .or at least have a ton of value and pray that things keep going the way they are going.

I wish we all could live in California and always have sun and fun and low energy bills and houses that appreciate at 150% over 5 years. Guess the rest of the stupid country better just keep on living their 3rd world country style of living and leave all the "financial master minds" in California to bask in the glory of their 1,000,000 dollar 2 bedroom houses. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [Tell3131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which are just now returning to the prices set in the 80's...

PSsssssssssssssssss... wait, is that a housing bubble I hear deflating?

This thread is clearly destined for the Lavender Room.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Why are USAT AG Nationals in such a crummy location? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lavender Room here we come! :)

I am done here. I guee we all should train more and argue less, but they are both so much fun. Later all. . .have to run in the thunderstorms tomorrow morning. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next