Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rider weight limit on Hed disc???
Quote | Reply
I went to Nytro to buy a Hed standard 650c clincher disc. They told me that at my weight (207lbs) I needed an XLab or different disc. They said they knew the Xlab was more money but that the Hed just wasn't suitable for heavier riders.

Is there a weight limit on the Hed disc?

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Rider weight limit on Hed disc??? [jshelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call Annie at HED. After 5+ years in sales I can smell an upsale a mile away. I smell something.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think 207 is all that heavy for a disc. I've had a bunch of discs, Campy Ghibli, Zipp, HED and my current HED3D. Now I don't weigh 207 but I do weigh about 175 and never had a problem.

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a used Hed 700c tubular disc on Ebay earlier this year & I've used it on a couple of training rides & at 7 TT's with no problems so far. I tip the scales at about 250, so 207 doesn't sound like a problem to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go down the hwy to B & L. Stay away from Nytro. Customer service sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Rider weight limit on Hed disc??? [mmfred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it seemed strange because I've never heard of a weight limit on any disc.

BTW -- I called Hed this afternoon and left a message.

I'll check out B&L...

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, I believe it was someone named Andy that I talked to at HED 4-5 years ago that told me not to get the Superlight HED disc at my weight (mid-180's), but to get their regular disc instead. Maybe you were looking at a Superlight?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically I would say 207lbs for a tall person riding 700c wheels is not big deal. But if your 207lbs and riding 650c wheels that must mean that you are very short. So unless all of that is muscle, to be quite frank, lose a few pounds. Don't waste your money on a disc, you'll probably just look like a poseur. So don't take this personally, but loosing 7lbs will probably do way more than the advantage from a expensive disk.
Quote Reply
Re: Rider weight limit on Hed disc??? [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I just went to your personal web-site and I must say I'm impressed. Looks like you already lost over 100 pounds. So you know what, get the disc you deserve it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I went to Nytro to buy a Hed standard 650c clincher disc. They told me that at my weight (207lbs) I needed an XLab or different disc. They said they knew the Xlab was more money but that the Hed just wasn't suitable for heavier riders.

Is there a weight limit on the Hed disc?
For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that Nytro either owns or has some ownership in X-Lab. Every time I am there I am less than impressed with their customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wow, just in the nick of time. I had a scathing rebuttal all planned. Now you've wasted it. ;)
In Reply To:
OK, I just went to your personal web-site and I must say I'm impressed. Looks like you already lost over 100 pounds. So you know what, get the disc you deserve it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, my main justification is simply that after being off the bike for years due to illness I just want to know what it feels like to go as fast as I can on my bike.

For my baseline 10-mile time-trial a few weeks ago I averaged 22mph in 12-15mph winds. My speed and conditoning is improving quickly but enough to warrant a disc? Not really, at least not right now.

I had originally planned to wait until after I had competed in a couple of time-trials coming up. But I decided regardless of how competitive I am, I love time-trial training and could justify a disc simply for the fun of using it in training. If I'm able to place in competition, then that's a bonus, but not a requirement.

And frankly, I don't care about impressing anyone, I just want to make the most of this opportunity after having numerous comebacks shot down by illness over the last 10 years...

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Rider weight limit on Hed disc??? [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I asked for the Standard disc. I could justify the cost of the Hed but not the other discs.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own one but I would go for a Renn disc if money were a big issue. The standard Hed discs have soft sidewalls and get dings no matter how careful you are. I have never heard a complaint about the Renns.
Quote Reply
Re: Rider weight limit on Hed disc??? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nytro rebadges the Xlab wheels as the US distributor. The Xlab wheels are actually made by a company in Europe but I can't recall the name or URL of the company off the top of my head.

-Darrell

-Darrell

Quote Reply