Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't get any emergencies but my work phone (Blackberry) is a bit big to carry on my bike. I want to make sure that when I'm 30 miles from home on a country road and my bike breaks that I can call someone. To me, the $10 per month is worth it. When not riding, I have my Blackberry with me at all times.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [neotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a cell phone, so no.

I did, however, see a guy talking on one in a race a few weeks ago.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I did, however, see a guy talking on one in a race a few weeks ago."

Now that is classic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a cat on a fixie get doored in SF because he was holding the cell in one hand and the bars in the other. He couldn't react quick enough and didn't have brakes anyway. It wasn't a good look.

Maybe he should have made like the Dutch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/...3604,1150361,00.html

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic came up before and I posted this but I'll post it again.. at Eagleman last year I called my wife during T1 after I was out of the water. She's not real fond of the swim, she doesn't understand how more people don't drown. Needless to say, you all ripped me REAL GOOD. In fact, some of you were down right mean.

The dude next to me was laughing pretty hard. I did 5:38 so I figure if I don't call next year I'm breakin' 5:30 in 2006!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry it since I ride solo a lot and out in the middle of nowhere and someday I may have to call Hinds57 or JohnA for a bail out. If it rings and I hear it, I may look to see who it is, then stop and answer. Or not.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One time, I was running (if you call it that) in a race, alongside another guy. His cellphone rang and he answered it!

"oh, hi honey. I'm almost done. Yes, I'll stop and get some eggs on the way home."

One of the funnier things I've witnessed in a race.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: frogonawire 6.2: Aug 11, 05 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who have cell phones "only for emergencies", how many "emergencies" do you get in a year.

My wife likes to call me and let me know every time the kids use the bathroom or sneeze. As a concerned parent, it is something that I appreciate. It puts my mind at rest to know that Jacob just pooped, so now I can focus on my workout.

-----------------------------

Seriously, I'm usually on a time schedule. I'll tell my wife I am going out for 4 hours to ride, and she'll expect me back in 4 hours. She may make plans to do something by herself, as a family, etc. If I am going to be very late (i.e., bad leg cramps, flat tire ... no spare tube, etc), I need to let her know.

I have only had one emergency, when I went on a long ride, despite being sick. I got lost, and was spent. I wasn;'t going to make it home on my own.

I don't see any harm in taking it with you. I take it every time and I'ts rang maybe four times in 2 years.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only txt message to save my minutes. on the week end ride I can talk though...

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while ridding? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Never bring it. Too much weight.
I drilled mine out to save a few grams...doesn't work so well now.

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry it since I ride solo a lot and out in the middle of nowhere

You know, I do the same thing...but the ironic thing is that typically, "in the middle of nowhere" I get no service...so I could bonk hard, crash and roll down a ravine off Mines Road or somewhere on Mt. Diablo and when I come to, dial my phone and get my all-too-familiar "sorry, call not completed, out of range..."

So maybe a tangential arc to this thread would be---which cell phone company has the best service in remote areas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it all the time, have a handsfree with one of the minimalist headsets. Pretty standard to be chatting to people and say "Sorry about the breathing, I'm just going up a hill..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is ok to do, but proper manners would be to drop back in the paceline when taking calls. I heard that somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't work on Mt. Diablo??? I think mine (Sprint PCS) worked at least partway up Mines. We'll have to check it out in the near future.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [bbieberitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you hear it on your cell phone while riding?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't work on Mt. Diablo???

On South Gate it works for about the first 1/2 mile, then zippo...sometimes it will show a signal---for example, I'll see that I have a message---but I'll try and call (while stopped!) and nothing happens. Haven't yet tried it on North Gate, but Summit Road is pretty consistent---sometimes a signal, never able to complete a call.

On Mines Road, same thing---I'll see some signal but apparently it's not enough to have a call go through. I'm also on Sprint and the coverage is spotty at best at seems. Can't confuse a signal with the ability to call out unfortunately....
Last edited by: Mike C: Aug 11, 05 18:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I yelled at a guy on the run at Vineman 1/2 a few weekends ago, talking on his phone! DURING A RACE!? GEEK! Probably had hairy legs too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drafting in the last half IM bike leg ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get no service...

We (the baseball copaches) were driving to s Legion baseball game this summer and my coaching buddy couldn't get service no matter he what. He said, "Coach, we're in cell phone hell, population: 2". We had a laugh and no just refer to those serviceless areas as "CPH".

I ride all around my town/city (circumference) about 20 miles (radius) from town, and I am fortune to get a signal the whole time. Amzingly.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used my cell phone today while in traffic. I think I should reconsider that practice. It is dangerous.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while ridding? [record10carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on ya, record.

One day I realized I went too far when I was on the phone, riding with no hands, weaving through cars at a red light. But then again I'm now engaged to the chick that was on the other end.

The lesson is, throw out your cell phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm one of the 73 people in the free world who doesn't own a cell phone --- and even if I had one I wouldn't talk on it while riding. And I sure wouldn't talk on it while driving. The cell phone usage mentality/epidemic is something I just don't understand. How did we all make it through the pre-cell phone days without engaging in countless daily telephonic conversations??
Quote Reply
Re: Do you talk on your cell phone while riding? [stevebradley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. There is just too much talking going on out there. I watch my kids in action and it seems there is not a 10 minute span where thay are not talking or texting. I don't get it. A treat for me is getting into my car alone, cranking the XM and reveling in the no talk zone.

Prev Next