Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calling all Females-Monthly Period & Performance
Quote | Reply
As a single dad I am trying to help & find out some info from athletes. I have a 16 yr old daughter who is running XC & T&F, she runs a 19:30 5k she had a interesting year last year as a freshamn in HS. My question is how does she prepare for a race while she has her menstruation "period"? Does it help to take iron? Should I go to the doctor first before I give supplements? Is it only natural to expect that performance will decline ? or improve? Is it necessary for her to take iron during this time span? Should she prepare differently or eat different foods which will help in performance during this time? I am trying to do the best or help her out any suggestions or experiences that all you Slowtwitch women have would be a great help.!

thanks y'all now you know we live in the south
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Females-Monthly Period & Performance [liquidblue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Man, I think this is the worst case to ask that question :)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Females-Monthly Period & Performance [liquidblue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello! I personally don't take anything during that time of the month. Is she complaining about cramps, aching back etc? During High School I never had any problems and I believe that was because I was on birth control...it's only now that I am older and not on birth control I can definitely feel the change. Training during that time is hell but you just have to push through it; I don't believe my performance changes but everything does feel harder. I wouldn't worry about it unless she complains. So for me I think the birth control controlled all the symptoms and I knew like clockwork when that time of the month would come which is helpful when planning for races/meets. Just my opinion but every woman is different. Sorry if this was to detailed for some people or goes against anybodys morals (birth control).

scarlett
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest you take her to your family doctor for a regular check-up. Explain your concerns. The doctor will likely do an iron test on her as well as other normal annual physical tests. No need to take supplements if her iron isn't deficient at all. Also, find a good sports nutritionist who is recommended by your doctor. Not someone who will recommend supplement after protein drink after supplement, but someone who can outline a proper diet of regular food for a growing teen who is also competing.

Good luck and good for you for taking an interest in your daughter's activities. Those girls who have Dads who are interested in their activities are known to have much higher self-esteem.

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be very careful giving iron! I overdosed one time and it's very toxic!! I would let her see how she feels before giving her anything. I wouldn't imagine it would effect her performance all that much if at all. If she notices a change then I would talk to a doctor before administering supplements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No two women have the same experience with their cycles. I'm totally worthless from an athletic standpoint on day one; other women will say they do very well day one of their cycles.

I wouldn't give supplements without a blood test that shows she's anemic. Just a normal healthy diet every day will be what the typical high school athlete needs in that regard.

However, if she has a very irregular cycle, I would encourage her to increase her calcium consumption. There is a link between amenorrhea (infrequent, very irregual, or no periods) and osteoperosis/bone problems because of low estrogen levels. Upping calcium consumption might help cut down on injuries now, and on bigger problems down the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From everything I've ever read, the idea that women perform less well during their period is a complete fallacy. Of course that may vary by individual, but it is not a general rule. The idea that it is a "down time" for your body that you use to "recuperate" is an old-fashioned and male-originated idea.

That being said, of course some individuals do have iron issues that need sorting out, but as others have mentioned - over-supplementation is just as dangerous, if rarer, than a little bit of low iron. So maybe the thing to do is get a blood test during a period week and see what turns up.

One thing that also might help her as an athlete (not sure how you'd feel about this as a dad) is to check into birth control pills. Not so she can go crazy, but because they will have the effect of making her period predictable and regular. I don't know anything, though, about the pill and teens, so that's another one for the doctor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not female and totally unqualified to even presuppose to give advice ... but ignorance never stopped me before:

* My wife takes birth control pills that regulate her cycle so she has a period every 12-14 weeks (I can't remember the exact time interval). Her doctor stated that this would not cause any negative health issues, and would in fact be the healthier thing to do. This protocol has worked very well for my wife, and she's followed it for the last 2-3 years.

* My wife is also the smart one in our family (I fall somewhere behind the dogs in the hieharchy): She has a doctorate in veterinary medicine specializing in pathology and is pursuing a PhD in anatomic pathology. So, she knows something about medicine, though not human medicine per se (but, is there really much difference between a Great Dane and a Human, medically speaking. A mammal's a mammal, after all. For the most part.)

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an ObGyn....PM me if you need any further advice.
cheers,
HC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No offense dad, but I think you should let your daughter and her doctor talk about this. She's 16 years old, she should take the issue up with her GP/GYN as she feels comfortable to do so. By all means, suggest that she discuss the issue(s) she has with them, and even her coach. But, Dad, it's kinda gross to talk about this stuff with yer dad... and she's old enough to take some control over her body.

My other advice would be if she feels her performance really suffers due to her cycle, then oral contraceptives may be the way to go. They kind of smooth out the bumps of the cycle, and allow for scheduling of training and racing. But she needs to 1) want to take a drug every day, 2) understand what that drug will do to her body and what the possible side effects/complications may be, 3) be mature and responsible enough to take it for the right reasons (i.e.: if she's sexually active, then the pill is NOT enough - condoms are still required).

I used to teach sexuality classes for at-risk youth, so feel free to PM me for a different non-medical perspective if you'd like.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife describes extreme fatigue during PMS time followed by extreme energy once it gets going.

Quote | Reply
If you are worried about low iron, take her to the doctor for a test before doing anything. Excess iron is not something the body can flush out and as such, you need to be careful with it. Also, if her iron is low, try iron fortified cereals prior to supplements. This worked really well for me when I was a teen.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Females-Monthly Period & Performance [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it's kinda gross to talk about this stuff with yer dad... and she's old enough to take some control over her body.

While I can see the point you are making here I also think that he must be doing something right if his daughter is comfortable enough to discuss this with him. I can see where it would be uncomfortable but sounds like he is just doing his best to fill two roles as a single parent.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Females-Monthly Period & Performance [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for you comments & suggestions & thoughts.

andypants- there is nothing "GROSS" about the human body or discussing it with your children. My daughter is well rounded & educated and does not feel that she cannot talk to me about anything.

THANKS ALL AGAIN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was 16 I would have rather poked searing hot needles through my eyes than discuss anything "female" with my Dad....kj

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Females-Monthly Period & Performance [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since several posts have mentioned birth control pills, all women should be forewarned that they are not without risk. I recently had deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism, with birth control pills as the only risk factor. Shocked my doctor. I'm older, so there are definitely more risks. But, I have seen instances in the literature of dvt/pe in younger female athletes related to oral contraceptive use, notably a Div. 1 college track athlete. I suspect that athletic women on the pill are more prone to clotting because of the additional risk factor of dehydration, but of course there is no research to support this. I personally know of at least six athletic women who have had either dvt or dvt/pe, which far exceeds the normal population risk. For a 16 year old, the dvt/pe risk is probably very small, but there's nothing like lungs full of blood clots to kill your lung capacity, permanently, I might add. Just something to think about.
Quote Reply