Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What to ask for from potiental sponsor?
Quote | Reply
Are any of you guys sponsored? I've been approched by a friend who owns a local construction co. who wants to help me out for tris next year and sponsor me. He wants to talk it over this weekend and asked what is typical for a sponsor to provide. I have no clue. Should I ask for entry fees and the cost of tri clothing w/ his logo - or ask for more? I don't want to take advantage of his kindness in offering to help me out. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: What to ask for from potiental sponsor? [trimichael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start by telling him that you want a brand new Cervelo P3 with Zipp's.

Seriously, consider yourself lucky. When I raced cars a lot of time was spent banging on doors trying to get sponsorship and I was only racing at an amateur level. The main reason a company normally sponsors somebody is to get some publicity for the business. In our case that meant putting the car on display in a mall as an example with the sponsors name written all over it.

I don't know what level your are at in tri, or how big his company is, but if you get on TV or have articles written about yourself and always mention your sponsor, then it will benefit his company and make it worthwhile to him. If you are a typical MOP AG'er such as myself, just having your entry fees paid would be nice. You could get some publicity for both of you to get the local newspaper to do an article for you. Another idea would be to hook up with a local charity and try and get donations to sponsor you in individual races with these donations going to the charity. This would get publicity for both of you.

Just a few thoughts of the top of my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask not what your sponsor can do for you, but what you can do for your sponsor...

There is a huge difference between a sponsorship and a "contribution". A sponsorship is an arrangement where someone buys your sports marketing services to attract publicity and visibility to their agenda: A cause, a product, a service. What degree of exposure can you REALLY deliver on? How many extra products will you actually, really sell for them as a result of your sponsorship?

When someone asks me to sponsor them I ask one question: How much ADDITIONAL business can you bring me?

I am sponsored by a few companies and I am a walking salesman for them. I make sure sales check through becasue of me and people learn about thier products from me. In the age of the Internet the resources available to an athlete are substantial, but very, very few deliver on the "promise" of increased visibility and incresed sales.

What can you do to help your sponsor's business grow NOW?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no surprise, but Tom nailed it. unless your friend is just in this to be your sugar daddy, both of you should start with what benefits you will bring to him as a sponsored athlete. find some way to quantify them ($$ value), and THEN figure out the value of whatever you want/get from his sponsorship. the latter should be something less than the former, or your friend gains nothing in a business sense. keep in mind that if you're a FOP AG-er or regularly populate the overall top-ten/podium you increase your value to the sponsor and thus the potential reward for yourself and this should enter into your negotiations.

FWIW, I've just gone thru this exercise myself as I work with a local shop to develop a sponsorship package for next season. Things that could appear in your "expectations of athlete" column include:

-display sponsor logo PROMINENTLY on your person and/or equipment. this may (should) extend beyond race gear, IMHO.

-an agreement to participate in some minimum # of races within the sponsor's primary business radius (i.e. are they a local outfit? statewide? where is your "advertising" power going to do them the most good?), and certainly in any races/events the company sponsors at any level.

-display and distribute any advertising/informational materials supplied by sponsor, at those races...unless otherwise prohibited.

-conduct self in professional manner in all race and sponsorship duties

In your case, you might also want to have a reasonable knowledge of exactly what his company does, it's capabilities, recent high profile jobs/contracts, etc. You never know when someone who is actually in need of your sponsor's services might approach you for information, and you're more likely to steer business to your friend if you give this prospect something more than a phone # .

Carl Matson
Quote Reply