Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make the swim sound a positive pleasure! I can't condone the use of the "D" word, sorry.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Great, according to my expectations I will be getting onto my bike in the middle of rush hour. [/reply]

I am also not happy about 2741 participant. I hope to be at T1 at the begin of rush hour. As a good biker I hope to leave it 'behind' me. But the first half of the bike should be easy :(

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps we should both get Klaxons or cow bells for our bikes, Felix?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A big Swiss cow bell would be great. But probably heavier than my bike ....

Julian, was that you that asked once if Cervelo is at IMC? I asked heater and she wrote that they will be there. They will have a P3C. But no P2SL. I was interested in that one because this will probably be my next tri bike.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that was me. I had forgotten all about that! Thanks, Felix. I was interested in one of their wool trainers and a frazz t shirt but am not too keen on buying without trying on first, not to mention adding the shipping to Europe.

Last edited by: jk_allen13: Aug 10, 05 6:35
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, as of right now, they're up to 2752. Somehow 11 more were added today!
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that we all like to complain about issues...some that may not even exist. This is one of them. Please show me one Ironman event that has ever had over 2,188 at the starting line? I think we had close to 1,700 in Arizona. That's not a lot. Maybe my theory will be proved wrong this month when all 2,800 show up to toe the line, but I'm willing to bet that you're going to see close to 2000 starting.

...but it's a dry heat...
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [jimviola] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met a guy in Austria that said if he wanted in Canada, all he had to do was call his coach. There is probably a lot of connections like that, that allow for last minute entries. Or, they were pros that have the ability to register last minute.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [zonie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right.

There are 2166 people listed in the IMC finishers list for last year. I wonder how many were registered?

Realistically there will be at most a couple hundred more people than last year which won't make a huge difference
Last edited by: Brent F: Aug 10, 05 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually I love the first 3400m of an IM swim, reminds me of my rugby playing days and why I loved the game of rugby. And before you askm yes I played in the front row! the last 400 is a drag b/c usually I have had enough of the water by then.

Well dont use the D word how about sling shooting, imagine its the Madison!

Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps I would be better off employing that state of mind in the swim rather than getting frustrated and wasting energy! Sling shotting up Richter and Yellow Lake sounds fun, but probably the dictionary definition of outside assistance ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries (Update 2753!)[Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of this morning the number has risen again to 2753! CRAP.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries (Update 2753!) [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As of this morning the number has risen again to 2753! CRAP.

Down 2 - back to 2751.... busted up my arm in a bike spill, and my training partner did the same right behind me. I figure since they won't give the $500 back the least I can do it not tell them i'm going and have them print up my stuff...besides, if I show up i'll register just to get the goodies.

I realize they can't give refunds to everyone but I was pretty ripped they wouldn't give either a partial or a credit for another race even with a dr. note. They have a true monopoly and have the complete lack of customer service that goes with it....too bad, particularly since they basically pocket $1.6M in entry fees for an entire year before race day. I think i'll look for another race, but unfortunately there will be 10 people behind me looking to take my spot, so it doesn't really impact them.

That said, I think there is enough demand to have some good IM distance races around IMC time for others to choose, as if it is a good race, people will come, much like IMC at the beginning.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries (Update 2753!) [impete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bad luck, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck, Pete. I'm not sure that I would want to go and spectate but I guess it would be a good idea if you are intending to race it next year.

Will you be there?

Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries (Update 2753!) [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What bad luck, I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck, Pete. I'm not sure that I would want to go and spectate but I guess it would be a good idea if you are intending to race it next year.

Will you be there?
not sure, but not racing next year at IMC regardless...don't feel like racing with 3000 other partipants in 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries (Update 2753!) [impete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can understand that, I don't think (right now) that I will make a repeat performance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can understand that, I don't think (right now) that I will make a repeat performance."
++++=============================++++

You haven't been to Penticton before, have you? On August 29 it will be very hard to resist the urge to sign up again for next year. In spite of the numbers it is a fantastic race that somehow manages to maintain a small town feel. I think you'll dig it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries (Update 2753!) [Mookie1986] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see how I go before I comment, but I am pencilled in for South Africa in March if the 28th goes without injury. To my mind there are too many fantastic locations and races to repeat one just yet. Although I don't discount returning to spectate.

Quote Reply
Re: IMC: Showing all 2741 participant entries [CdnBacon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just found this over on mile141: Spoke with the IMCanada office yesterday. They advised that the numbers will drop considerably once the participant's list is updated to reflect those who have withdrawn for one reason or another. They anticipate final numbers will be approx 2300 or so. Hope this helps to relieve a little of the pre-race stress!

Should help a little to know that there will be 400 less bodies and 1600 less arms and legs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count your blessings, people. At least it's a one-loop swim and there is SOME semblence of a chance for the field to thin out. I did Florida in 2003 and took the widest possible line — I think I did closer to three miles that day — and still got pummeled during my 1-hour, 10-minute aquatic odyssey. Canada 2004 on the other hand was far and away the most civil open-water swim of half-iron distance or longer, and I was only seven minutes faster.

But damn, that's a lot of people. Be prepared to tap the brakes repeatedly going down to Osyoos to stay out of those packs. They were almost as bad as Florida.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply

Prev Next