Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee pain on the bike...thoughts/advice?
Quote | Reply
Had to bail from my planned century ride today at the 67 mile point after developing some serious pain in my left knee. It was on the inside part of the knee, right where the bone is closest to the skin. Have never had anything like this before. It was impossible to put a lot of pressure on the pedal. I have just started riding with a new pair of shoes and cleats...I looked at my old cleats and tried to put them on in exactly the same position (Speedplay Zeros), with the screws adjusted exactly the same. Now, on some earlier training rides, I felt some twinges, but nothing bad, and I just chalked it up to the fact that the new cleats were still a little a tight and I wasn't floating quite as readily as before. But today it got real bad, and no amount of adjusting my foot on the cleat helped. The knee is not painful to the touch, and as soon as I got home and climbed off, it feels fine. Any ideas? Anybody with similar issues? I'm going to open up the float a little, so that my heel can swing out a little bit more, and see if that helps.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Check to make sure your sole thickness between shoes is not different. You need to remember to recheck that when getting new shoes. Some soles are quite thick, others quite thin.

Aside from that, loosen up the float and double check the mapping from old shoe to new shoe. If you know how to find the second metatarsal head, do that (it is the nub on the side of your foot where the "ball" is). Should be easy to find. Check to make sure that lines up.

Also double check width. Make sure you haven't increased/decreased Q-factor.

In short, double check ALL your measurements.

And ice, ice, ice the knee.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply