Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero wheel set up, question?
Quote | Reply
Is it better (more aero) to have a tri spoke wheel (like a hed3) as the front or rear wheel when combined with a spoked wheel?
For some reason i had it in my head that the best set-up was to have it as the rear wheel with a aero spoked wheel at the front, but i saw the opposite in the bike shop at the w/end.....i can only afford one wheel or the other so now i'm not sure which is the best combo to have.
Any thoughts?

cheers,
B.
Quote Reply
Re: aero wheel set up, question? [the blower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front wheel hits the wind first, while the rear is hidden behind the seat tube - you get most value for money getting an aero front wheel. (Or a rear disk.)

You might get handling problems with a tri-spoke front wheel in windy conditions. In such cases it's better with a spoked front wheel and tri-spoke rear. A spoked aero front wheel (HED Alps, Zip 404, Mavic Carbone) is almost as fast as a tri-spoke, and works in all conditions. I would recommend first buying one of these (or other similar brands). Next time you get money to buy on wheels, go for a rear disk or tri-spoke.
Quote Reply
Re: aero wheel set up, question? [ajo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put the hed3 on the front. I've ridden trispokes and discs in near hurricane conditions. I was leaning left like everyone else then right on the way back. Other than that one race I've never noticed handling problems.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: aero wheel set up, question? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THE MORE WHEEL THE WIND CATCHES THE FASTER YOU GO. AS LONG AS YOU CAN HANDLE YOUR BIKE THE HED3 IS THE BEST THING ON THE MARKET. PUT IT IN THE FRONT WHERE IT WILL DO THE MOST GOOD. JUST YESTERDAY HED WAS SHOWING A NEW "BUDGET" DISC TO COMPETE WITH THAT REN? DISC. MUCH HIGHER QUALITY AND MORE WEIGHT SAVINGS. ASK SANTA FOR ONE FOR CHRISTMAS TO MATCH THAT HED3. YOU CAN ASK HED AND DAN EMPFILED PERSONALLY AT THE SCIENCE BEHIND SPEED CLINIC IN ST LOUIS DEC 5,6. SEE WWW.MAPLEWOODBICYCLE.COM FOR MORE INFO
Quote Reply