Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedaling Downhill?
Quote | Reply
Is it better to pedal downhill during the bike for an IM? or is it better to coast and use it as a little rest? Looking for the most efficient, the bike is my weakest and will probably take me 6-6 1/2 hours. Seems like most cyclist continue to pedal downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedaling Downhill? [Ann Arbor Jeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
always put it in a larger gear 53-12 and fly down that hill. If thier is another up hill that follows the faster speed will carry you farther up the hill, then shift to an easier gear and fly past the others that were resting on the last hill. It will help you pass more people on the portion that people have the most trouble with, and it will boost your confidence at the same time.

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

I think it is important to continue to pedal over the top of the hill and then start shifting thru the gears until you reach about 34 mph. At this point, tuck and coast until your speed slows below 34, and start to pedal and shift back thru the gears until you reach your normal speed/cadence. This is especially important on rolling hill sections where you want to build speed to climb the next hill.

Gar

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: Pedaling Downhill? [fastGopher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that seems to be what I see other people do. I will give it a shot on this weeks long ride. I suppose this is where a power meter would be most useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedaling Downhill? [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
34? Is there a reason for that exact speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me depends on how I'm feeling. I ask my self, I'm I looking for free distance or free speed. Since I race BOP train by myself, I'm just really racing against myself & keep a close eye AVG MPH. If I feel good I go for the free speed to bump up my AVG MPH, if I'm beat & just looking to get of the bike I coast & consider it free distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedaling Downhill? [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is based on 80% of your resting heart rate, adjusted for age or your BMI plus 10, whichever is higher. I got this calculation from a tri coach, so it must be right!

Actually, for me this is the speed where tucking will be faster. If I pedal people in a tuck start to pass me.

Quote Reply
Re: Pedaling Downhill? [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is based on 80% of your resting heart rate, adjusted for age or your BMI plus 10, whichever is higher. I got this calculation from a tri coach, so it must be right!

Actually, for me this is the speed where tucking will be faster. If I pedal people in a tuck start to pass me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thinking about it the magic number for me seems to be 33. I pedal till I get there then tuck. I come back up after dropping to 27 though.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Pedaling Downhill? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with a couple of old, wise and fast roadies up here that will scream past me in a tuck like I am standing still if I pedal at high speed. It only had to happen 50 or 60 times for me to change my strategy and tuck at 34 mph like they do.

Gar

Quote Reply