Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback?
Quote | Reply
Any positive/ negative opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [RGRTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two now, bought one and got one as a crash replacement. Nice helmet very very well ventilated and looks fast. The only negative is that it loos rather which which isn't a negative it's just a style opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry..."Looks rather, what?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! Ohh! pick me!

I have one and have been going back and forth between this helmet and a Giro Atmos. Both helmets are flat black (the Sweep I have is the version called the Sweep XC which is sold with a visor in flat black, which I quickly discarded).

The Sweep is the first of the Bell brand helmets (Bell and Giro are the same company, or at least owned by the same parent company, Bell Sports in Rantoul, Illinois) that fit me well. The rotary circumference hatband adjustment is reminiscent of Petzl brand climbing helmets This adjustment method is just as ingenious especially for those of us living in climates where we may have to layer a hat or balaclava under the helmet during winter. It works awesome even with one hand.

The helmet has very good, certainly adequate, ventilation and low or non-existent wind noise. As is typical of many Bell models in comparison to Giro the helmet is slightly larger in external volume at least by appearance on the head than the Grio Atmos. Chin starp is comfortable and easily adjusted and locked into adjustment. Bell briefly used a small width chin strap which I thought was not nearly as good as the full width strap they have returned to on the Sweep and Sweep XC.

In comparison to the Atmos I would suggest the Atmos is still a trifle nicer owing to a slightly less bulbous overall mass (simply looks smaller on the head- less helmet sticking out). The ventilation is certainly adequate. In general, I like it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, why is a lot of the new stuff painted with flat paint? i think it looks weird. flat black looks like a blackboard... is this selling well?
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [miami79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't selling well at all. I don't think customers like it. We have had a few flat black helmets, Sweeps and Atmos, on the floor since Spring and they are still there. People don't seem to like the flat black. I think they prefer a gloss white or silver helmet that is highly visible, matches most cycling outfits and bike colors (or at least doesn't clash). The Discovery Channel edition Atmos helmets sold out completely (about a dozen mediums, four smalls and two larges) in a week. Boom- gone. People like the colors.

I like the flat black though. It goes with my cycling clothes and I think it looks cool. Stealthy.

There is also some concern that black is a "hotter" color and draws heat to your head, or heats up more in the sun. I have not experienced anything of the sort and have been riding in the hottest summer of the last five years all year long with zero problems.

So, as you point out, it is a matter of personal taste. I happen to think the flat black is cool lookig but most customers don't care for it. I wager they will only be around for a year.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've have had some issues with the padding strips on the inside of the helmet falling apart. They come covered with this sort of mesh covering and mine almost immediately came off. I've only had the helmet since late spring. I have yet to call Bell for some new ones so can't say what their customer service is like. Other than that I like it better than the Giro Boreas that I had previously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like Mcombs...

I LOVE the helmet, but the pads sucks. The mesh was off within 1 week and now the padding is separating from the velcro. Then again, I wear the thing 15 hours a week and it's been deathly hot/humid this year.

Never needed replacement pads for a helmet before...wonder how much the LBS will screw me or can I go to Bell direct?
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely call Bell first. I had good luck with Giro so hopefully Bell will be just a good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was shopping around for a new helmet a few months back (when I was still living in Vegas), I went to every shop in sin city looking for a black Atmos. All sold out. Couldn't get one. So, I saw a snazzy looking CSC Sweep. Tried it on, and was like, "Wow, this thing really fits." Better than the Giro it replaced.

It's a good helmet. I put it on, and don't think about it. Which is what you want in a helmet. It's well ventilated and light. I like it. The tension adjustment thing works great. Better, I think, than Giro's. My pads are also disintergrating. the red mesh has left the building, and the remaining foam is getting pretty funky. I need to find a replacement.

As with so many things, fit is where it's at. The Sweep fits me really well. So I like it a lot. And I think the CSC red and black is pretty cool.

But, if I had been able to find a black Atmos, that's what I would be wearing. And I'm sure I'd be just as satisfied. Although the Giro fit isn't *quite* as good as the Bell. But, I would have never known.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd also think that the black would negate some of the ventilating effects through heat absorption. that's why i wouldn't want a black helmet.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seems like flat black would absorb a lot of heat from sunlight as well.

Quote | Reply
I like my Bell Sweep better than my Giro (which, though, saved my head in a recent crash).

I do have the issue with the red mesh so I e-mailed Bell. I'll post if I get any feed-back. Here's Bell's info (I think).
  • Mail: Customer Service
    Bell Sports, Inc.
    1924 County Rd. 3000 N
    Rantoul, IL 61866
    Phone: (800) 456-2355
    (217) 893-9300
    8:00am to 5:00pm Central Time

• Fax: (800) 888-9009

• E-mail Answer_Desk@bellsports.com

Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, I have two sweeps both less than a month old and the red mesh is already going on one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.sierratradingpost.com had last years blue ghisallo for $69.95 if anyone is interested. Works well and good color to boot.

my $.02

Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom (or anyone else), do you have any thoughts/experience with Catlike helmets? Maybe I just like the name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Bell Sweep Helmet...Feedback? [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add me to the list of "helmet fits like a glove but the pads suck" club. I did call Bell CS and they said they will put me on a "waiting list" to receive replacement pads when they come in. No idea when that will be. Very dissapointed about that.
Quote Reply