Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT: Talk to me about State College Pa...
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about applying for a faculty position here, but I have never been to the area. Anything I should know about it? Any other areas you could compare it to? I have lived in Michigan my whole life - Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and now a suburb of detroit, just as a point of reference.

Also, a general question for any of the ST'ers who are on faculty (anywhere) - any advice on how it is? Everyone I talk to says it sucks the first 5 years, is that true? Thanks,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Last edited by: jackattack: Jul 28, 05 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no knats!

lots of hills

go to the Phyrst

bring a warm jacket in the winter

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't the part about the first 5 years sucking be universal throughout all of post secondary faculty positions?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [Sean-Calgary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
?

Not sure what you saying....

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to Penn State and now live in Kalamazoo. Weather is similar. There are less roads to ride on in State College (though I didn't bike at the time), and it gets rural a lot faster. There are more hills so you will get better hill workouts. I really enjoyed running in and around State College. The University has grown a lot since I left so some of the campus routes I used to run are probably changed.

State College as a town is still pretty small, again it has grown but there won't be all the stores and other stuff that you would get in GR or AA. It's also out in the middle of no where. The two nearest cities are 3+ hours away (Pitt and Philly) and there is nothing much in between.

State College is a gorgeous place to live and the campus enviroment is great. I really enjoyed living there.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [mj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when did you go there?

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [Sean-Calgary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I understand what you're saying now...yes my second question wasn't directed at Penn State faculty positions, it is directed at faculty positions in general....

Thanks for clarifying...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]?

Not sure what you saying....[/reply]

I am/was under the impression that no matter which university or college you go to as a faculty member, that the first few years suck balls. Lots of the junior profs here seem to be going grey before their time due to the stress of it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think it depends more on the school and the department. if you're at a more teaching-oriented institution, it's just that: teaching oriented. the stresses are real but different: lots of marking, pushing curves, prepping curricula, etc. on the other hand, at a research-based school, there will definitely be big pressure to publish early and often, to take on plenty of grad students, and to earn yourself some big grants.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wonder how this is different than working in an industry job. Every job has stress...so is faculty really more stressful than a typical office job. I just can't stand the thought of working 8 - 6 every day for the next 30 years. But then again, if I'm going to be tied to my lab 7 - 7 everyday, that's not much better.

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at a research-based school, there will definitely be big pressure to publish early and often, to take on plenty of grad students, and to earn yourself some big grants.

that pretty much describes the academic culture there

still, not a bad place if you like small towns with big college populations

summers are nice

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [frogonawire 6.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"still, not a bad place if you like small towns with big college populations"

If I start a fraternity, will you pledge?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except that in academia, you've got more freedom.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"we're going streaking!!!"

(btw, they do have something there called The Mifflin Streak - or at least they did)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm proud to say SC is my hometown. I haven't lived there since '84, and only occasionally return, so my recollection of things as a youth probably don't apply much. If you have kids there can be no better place to raise them. The schools are great still I'm sure.

As for training, I rode my bike everywhere as a kid and college student. AA probably has better bike routes, but I always had a great ride to do somewhere.

My stepfather was on the PSU faculty, and he always had gripes, but I don't think there was any way to please that man about anything.

I miss it terribly and am jealous of you for the opportunity you have to move there. Good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to grad school at PSU '89-'93 and returned to the area for a post-doc ~'95-96. I really enjoyed living there, but it does take some getting used to. It's fairly isolated and the campus/university pretty much dominates everything. On the plus side, there are some great concerts, speakers, etc. that come through campus. You can walk/bike from one end of town to the other which is great - most everything you need is in town. There is a mall outside of town, however. Running around there is unbelievable - tons of rolling hills, so you get in badass shape - try running up Orchard Rd. out by the stadium...it used to be part of my 10 mile loop, or hit 4-hills out behind campus. Although I didn't ride, except my mountain bike to/from campus, I did a fair bit of motorcycling around the area and if I recall properly, there are some great roads for cycling. I'm pretty sure PSU has a cycling team, and maybe even a tri team, so there's gotta be a group to hook up with if you so desire. There are also some good running groups around - go to Rapid Transit Sports, right across from campus and talk to Terry (if he's still there) - he's the man to put you in touch with the local running groups. If you need a haircut, go to Reynaldo's - right next to Rapid Transit - unless they've changed, they used to finish up with a hot lather/straight blade on the back of your neck that was just heaven - I'm assuming you're of the male persuasion here. For liquid recreation, I highly recommend Zeno's - although it's right across the street from campus, it's not really popular with the young'uns...it's quiet in the early evening, and you used to be able to get Yuengling's fine Porter for $4/pitcher a couple nights a week - that's probably changed as well. If you get a hankerin' for the best onion rings on earth, go to Ye Olde College Diner right on College Ave, and if you're jonesin' for ice cream, the Creamery on campus can't be beat. Lots of good road racing (running) in the area, too...the Nittany Valley 1/2 is pretty and tough. I'm sure the place has changed a bit since I've been gone, but hopefully some of the good stuff is still around.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
around the world in 80 beers...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on...and foosball in the back room. So much time pleasantly wasted...I mean the time was wasted, not me...you must be thinking of some other guy that just looks like me.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the Skeller, for a "box of rocks"....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
more freedom to organize your time as you want, but I was working in the industry, my job would be a lot easier. The pressure to get external funding is pretty high. It's very very competitive.

One thing before going to a new school is to look at who works there, the rate of tenured faculty (I know for instance that U Penn denied tenure to something like 12 computer science faculty in a row, some with CAREER awards from NSF which are extremely competitive grants).
If it's a teaching institution, honestly the pressure is low.

If it's a research institution, then it's very different. Check what they expect regarding tenure. Publications, level of funding etc. Some schools at pretty clear about what they expect (say CS dept. at UT Austin), others are pretty fuzzy...in which case I'd be very cautious...anyway, these are things you HAVE to discuss when applying for a position. Other faculty interviewing you will expect you to ask this.

Now, if I could find an industry position in an area I like, I'd probably do it...(anyone?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my best friends is the swim coach there. He loves it and has said that there is no better place to raise kids.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Talk to me about State College Pa... [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
state college is soon to be host of the singlespeed mtn bike world championships:

www.sswc05.com

a fine feather in any town's cap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'WE ARE TABLE #5, #5, WE ARE TABLE #5...WHERE THE F*CK IS TABLE 2!!!'

What's your mug #?

Andy

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in State College from age 4 thru age 23. My Father worked at Penn State for 25 years, and both my sister and I graduated from there (I graduated in 1995). I think I can sum up my thoughts on the place by saying: It isn't called "Happy Valley" by accident. For most of the time I was living there, it was considered one of the best places to live in the country. Low crime, an educated population, etc., etc. It never seems to make the "best places to live" lists any more, but I don't know why.

The only thing I didn't like about the place was that it was somewhat of an island in the middle of the state. It is a tough place to travel to/from, but a nice place to be :-).

I can't speak to the quality of faculty positions, but my father said Penn State was the best employer he ever had. He didn't get rich, but he always had time to spend with his family.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply