Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question
Quote | Reply
I purchase a BNIB Zipp Super 9 from a fellow Slowtwitcher via the classifieds. As advertised, it arrived looking brand new with all the accompaniments you'd expect from Zipp ... the little booklet and bag with brake pads, rim strip, skewer, valve extender, etc. It all looks very legit and there's not a mark on the freehub body. Just mounted it up today and it's surprisingly out-of-true. It's rideable, but this is on a P5 with Magura brakes and, to get the brakes wide enough to handle the wobble in the wheel, I almost need to pull the lever to where it hits the base bar to get any braking in the work stand. Haven't taken it on the road yet. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it's 2 mm out of true at the worst point.

What say you Super 9 owners. Did I get taken? Do y'all have any slop like this in your wheels? The thing is gorgeous otherwise and doesn't appear to have taken a hit of any kind.

Just curious before I "do battle" if necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a bit of wobble on mine. Nothing huge or unmanageable, but it is there. I'm using the TriRig Omega so it is easy to dial in the brake pads and braking is not much differnent from my other wheelsets (just a bit more lever travel).

That amount of wobble seems excessive though.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine, used 1 season for a handful of TTs, has about 1.5mm runout. I showed it to a Zipp rep just a couple weeks ago, and he said it looked OK to him (and also said that he's never had one that was perfectly true).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine is good vertically & laterally.

My vote is that should have been communicated pre-sale. Not much Zipp can do about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, Brian. I removed the tire I just mounted and put it in my truing stand. I'm getting 2mm movement to one side, return to center, then a full 2 mm to the other side.

Fortunately, I've already had a message from a SRAM/zipp employee as a result of this post, so hopefully we can resolve this.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Zipp rep actually told you that they consider a $2000+ wheel that wobbles to be normal and acceptable?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch needs a "like" thingy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing here. The wheel was almost rubbing the chain stay on my Shiv. We flipped the wheel around and it was rubbing the opposite chain stay. My LBS sent the wheel back to Zipp.... A week later Zipp called and said there was nothing wrong with the wheel but would send a "new" one to make the customer happy. My LBS mechanic put the wheel in and it spins dead center.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bobby,

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm in a very similar position! Also bought a very lightly used Super 9 to go in my P5, and it runs out about 3mm either side, which makes the clearance super tight. I'm sure this must be a manufacturing error rather than a damage issue/ I've had to back out the screw in the lever and shave the brake pads all the way down to enable it to spin. I'm worried that I'll get brake rub when out of the saddle. I'm not keen to take out the washers in between the arms of the Maguras and the pads.

Bobby, what was your outcome?

Others - any tips!?

Many thanks!

Sam.

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [SamuelMedway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamuelMedway wrote:
Hi Bobby,

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm in a very similar position! Also bought a very lightly used Super 9 to go in my P5, and it runs out about 3mm either side, which makes the clearance super tight. I'm sure this must be a manufacturing error rather than a damage issue/ I've had to back out the screw in the lever and shave the brake pads all the way down to enable it to spin. I'm worried that I'll get brake rub when out of the saddle. I'm not keen to take out the washers in between the arms of the Maguras and the pads.

Bobby, what was your outcome?

Others - any tips!?

Many thanks!

Sam.

wow that is way too much lateral runout. Zipp says .5 for lateral and 1mm for radial. Mine is less than .25 for lateral and radial. However, the slight runout is only on one side of the rim and the ohter does not move so it is a surplus of carbon layup on one side of rim. I think 3mm is way too much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my super 9 lightly used a few years ago here on ST, perfectly true laterally and vertically. Hopefully SRAM/Zipp helps you out.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure mine moves a little, but definitely less then 1... if it moved more..I'd be rubbing all over the place because I have to use worn brake pads as is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
even on a perfectly true super 9 with a p5 (i used that setup for 2 years) you're virtually guaranteed to need to swap those washers from inside of arms to outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bobby, did you sell Samuel your disc?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp Super 9 owners ... a question [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks jkhayc,

I have been reluctant to do this because when I tried to do it previously (on the front wheel), it made adjusting the angle of the pads quite difficult, I couldn't "toe in" the brake pads. Did you find this with doing it to the rear? Any others also tried this trick?

Many thanks!

Sam.

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no toe in for me.... they don't squeal like my enves' so toe in not needed.
Quote Reply