Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Coaches?
Quote | Reply
Anyone dare to list there favorite coaches and why? Looking for someone who has raced the distance (Ironman) but also has knowledge for working with power meters, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [swimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure SAC things he is a good coach.

Re: Best Coaches? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, got that right... and I can spell too... ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Last edited by: smartasscoach: Jul 28, 05 9:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAC of course...and Multisports I know are good.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAC is my coach, and I only go with the best. I mean, he WILL be my coach when he moves to Cincy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SAC and Desert Dude have always answered all of my questions and have been incredibly helpful. Both will be in the states soon. Both will tell you if you do well and both will tell you if you are sucking and how to get better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Devlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe Wiley is my favorite coach. I can relate to him on a variety of levels, so it's easy for us to communicate. Like a crab, typical Cancer, he doesn't always take what appears to be the most direct approach, but I'm finding that sometimes an apparent zig-zagging is actually the path of least resistance. Besides some of the alternative ideas, what is most interesting is that he can answer my questions almost instantaneously, I don't even have to email or call him, his voice just appears in my head. Plus he's hot and that's what's most important, I'd definitely do him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois is my coach. Even though it's remote coaching, it has worked out great for me. We talk a lot, he listens, is a good teacher and is interested in OUR goals. PM if you'd like to know about results.

He has raced all distances at the highest level, has extensive knowledge on training/racing protocols/tools (yes, power included) and keeps it real.

JC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael McCormack. The man gives you a lot of information and very very tailored workouts. Especially useful those folks doing IMs with not a lot of time.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been with Mike Plumb all season now, and it's terrific! I'm in the best shape and racing form of my life, and I'm really looking forward to my first two IMs later this fall.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [Big Duke Six] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone that knows me well once said "You would NEVER live in Cincy, would you?!" :-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been with ST'er martyg (Marty Gaal) for almost a year and I've had some great, great, great results. Placed in my AG at the last 7 of 8 races this year. I very highly recommend him.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [kkl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Marty. Have used him for three years, from bumbling newbie to multi-IMs. Have slowly built speed, strength and endurance in a logical, no-nonsense matter. I've never been injured under him. And I have PR'd every major race. I also appreciate his whacky side. He takes his coaching very seriously, but has a nice light side to him as well.

check 'em out:

http://www.osbmultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to have to plug Marty as well - don't know if he has tech geek quotient that some people on here would look for - but in exchange for that you get real training *gasp*.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tech geek? Marty is the geek of all geeks! ;) Logistics engineer for Lockheed. Masters in English. About finished with his masters in Business. His freaking thesis was in Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals, whatever the heck that is. The only thing that keeps him from being over the edge-geekdom is his lovely wife Bri.

Had to rib you Marty as there is no repercussion of my tomorrow's schedule being something like 50 x 100 m free on 1:10 Z4 or some crazy sheet like that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RA, I'm going to try to figure you out based on the monthly OSB's newsletter. Congrats on your great results. I'm not even remotely to the point of approaching a HIM or IM distance so good for you and your PRs.

I hate to sound like I'm working for Marty ('m not), but I have to chime in on being injury-free and I'm the first to acknowledge that injuries aren't necessarily related to coaching plans. I also like his approach with us. He seems like he would be a good guy to work with and/or for. Who doesn't crave an understanding and supportive boss?! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rich Strauss at Crucible Fitness. He's a Friel associate. He has many years of experience training himself and others with power. LOTS of experience training IM athletes as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [kkl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that would be me. Pedestrian results by this forum's standards, but far better than I ever imagined I would do! Best of luck to you. If you live in or near Orlando, or have a chance to swing into town, riding with Marty is great too. I ride with him regularly, recently this past Saturday and Tuesday, and it is always interesting to see what he is doing, how he is doing it, and he usually imparts some decent words of wisdom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure all of the coaches on ST do a fine job, and I'm sure they do just as well by their elite athletes as they do with their BOP athletes. Please let me add a quick story about Marty and then I'm done (hey, I had zero posts about Lance or Cervelo so I'm allowed).

I hired him last August and had my last race planned for the last Sat of Sep. Had to email him saying the race didn't happen because my daughter sprained her ankle at school on Friday and spent the afternoon getting her fixed up. Way too late for packet p/u. Didn't even bother driving the 3 hours to the race on Friday night.

My initial thoughts were that my new coach was going to fire me...dog ate my homework sort of thing...and Marty emailed me back saying that life was much more important than tris. A month in and I knew I'd found my coach. Don't get me wrong, I do some pretty serious sweating with Marty, but his approach keeps it fun for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe, you need to get out more often
Quote Reply
Re: Best Coaches? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary, sorry to be such a newcomer...what in the world does that mean?

I've hung around enough to know you have nice shoes and are an a awesome biker. You got some 'splainen to do.

Well, unless it is a private joke, and everybody else gets it. In that case, carry on.
Quote Reply