Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 speed cassette issue (shimano)
Quote | Reply
Has any body else had this problem. My 10 speed cassette (ultegra) does not fit tightly on the cassette body. I am not meaning the 2mm spacer but the cassette body is actually smaller than the inner diameter of the cassette. This in turn allows play on the cassette body which has already damaged my aluminium cassette body on my zipp wheels.

When I place my 9spd cassette on all my wheels it is a nice snug fit. Where as the 10spd cassette seems like it is made for a larger diameter cassette body. Last time I placed my 9spd cassette on my zipps I had to sand down the gouges that the 10 spd cassette had caused through its movement to get it to fit on, this was when I became aware of the problem.

Any advice on whether this is a defective cassette or a known problem would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed cassette issue (shimano) [sambo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say its upwards of 90% likely that your Zipp freehub was milled out of spec or the Zipp tolerance was off. The Japanese rarely make mistakes.....

Seriously though, I've owned 4 different pair of Zipps and (2) of the freehubs were incorrect diameter. No biggie...just buy a new freehub or warranty it.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed cassette issue (shimano) [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it is not the zipp freehub as it is loose/sloppy on 2x shimano and a AM classic freehub aswell. Besides my 9spd cassettes fit like a glove on all 4 freehubs it is only the 10spd that is like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am not meaning the 2mm spacer but the cassette body is actually smaller than the inner diameter of the cassette.
So are you first installing the spacer that came with the cassette before you start adding the spider/cogs?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: 10 speed cassette issue (shimano) [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes the spacer is installed. It is not movement across the cassette but movement as in forward/rear (as if the chain was taking up slack as you begin to pedal) It is actually starting to damage all my aluminium freehubs which is rather annoying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you check to make sure that the smallest cog was lined up correctly? It's possibly to have it be misaligned and yet get the lockring to thread. That little difference would be enough to create a little play while the cassette appeared mounted.

-Darrell

-Darrell

Quote Reply