Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Climbers
Quote | Reply
Dan hit it on the head with this item. For me, it was mountain biking. I had been riding off road since 1991 and took up racing in 1999. In 2000 I got the race bug bad and every MTB ride was a training ride. I did pretty well that year, for a newbie and upgraded in 2001. In 2000 I bought a road bike to traing like the real MTB racers. Soon I found myself training on the road 90% of the time because of the lack of decent singletrack in metro San Diego. My downhilling ability suffered and I became frustrated with my results. The weekend before 9/11 was my last MTB race ever. I sold my bike and looked on to another adventure, and so my journey into TT began.

I faded in and out of duathlon and focused on TT in 2002 and finally got a real TT groove going in 2003. Now I plan on getting a little du action going again in 2004 because I like running and I found that a little running helps keep me balanced and in shape, helping my cycling. My true goals for '04 are the State title and maybe a shot at Nationals, depending on where they are held, just for experience (for the years to come).

TT racing is an old guy sport for the most part, with Masters level racers making up the majority of entrants. I believe that this is because in TT racing you always strive to improve your best time, and you race against yourself for the most part - you are your own competition.

I miss MTB racing a little, but with TT I have found a new high speed, technical love.
Quote Reply
Re: Climbers [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The nice thing about a sport in which one competes against himself or herself is that one doesn't need every gismo that comes along to measure improvement. People can compete and have fun in these sports on a shoestring. Non-drafting triathlon and duathlon or running or time trialing all fit this category if the athlete desires.

Only when one starts to measure themselves against others does the need for all the newest and latest stuff start to arise.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Climbers [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"TT racing is an old guy sport "

Gary, thanks for the tip. They sound like my kind of people!! I'll definately have to check this one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Climbers [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Only when one starts to measure themselves against others does the need for all the newest and latest stuff start to arise."

Do you mean like PC's? Sorry Frank, I just couldn't resist!!
Quote Reply
Re: Climbers [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, PC's, and Rotors, CT and 15 lb frames and disk wheels, and aerobars, and all the other stuff are totally unnecessary for good self esteem. Those with good self esteem don't need any of this stuff to have a good time.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Climbers [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"totally unnecessary for good self esteem"

I've often thought that tri should have a standardized bike that all should ride in competition. Something like that old Schwinn or CCM that we had as kids. If everybody had to ride the exact same low tech bike in competition it would certainly even up the playing field and save us all lots of $$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you sound like the UCI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boardman's UCI "Budget" Hour Record bike costs well over $5000, not to mention development costs. Just because it is steel and uses wire spokes and no aerobars doesn't make it cheap.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote: I've often thought that tri should have a standardized bike that all should ride in competition. Something like that old Schwinn or CCM that we had as kids. If everybody had to ride the exact same low tech bike in competition it would certainly even up the playing field and save us all lots of $$$. "

That is what yachting did for all but the America's cup and such and for exactly that same reason. You race a certain class boat, even in the Olympics, all of which are the same. Best sailor usually wins. Certainly, triathlon could do the same thing, even in the same race with "open" divisions and class divisions. However, deciding on the "standard" bike, wheel, etc. could be a problem.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply