Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer!
Quote | Reply
We've sold a number of Profile Carbon X one piece bar systems. Has anyone had any difficulty getting the elbow pads to adjust close enough to each other? Older versions we can't get the darn things close enough for our taste for some customers. Anyone else with this experience?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't sold any, haven't ridden any, but what I have noticed is that an inordinate numbere of pros using them have rigged them in one way or another. Especially on Saturn I don't think I've ever seen a stock bar. They seem to toss out the brackets on which the elbow pads mount, and instead put the pads diretly on the extension-holding brackets. It puts the pads lower (which obviously is what TT'ers of that calibre seem to like) and it makes the whole set-up a bit stiffer and sturdier. It also puts the pads narrower.

Gerard

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Gerard, that is what we have resorted to. I was hoping for some changes from Profile for '03. Happy Holidays to you, yours and your crew. Thank you for those wonderful bicycles. Tom.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them for about a year but eventually concluded that they were just too big for me. I was unable to get the elbow pads as close together as I wanted initially, but I think a lot of riders try to pull their arms in too close. You just need to get them close enough to cover your thighs. I think most riders can do this with the standard setup. I did look at simply drilling additional holes in the armrest brackets to accomplish pulling the arms in closer. It didn't look too hard to do, but I never bothered.

One piece bars aren't for everyone, but think long and hard about whether you really need your elbows any closer than Carbon X allows before you reject the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a CarbonX for the past two seasons, on two different bikes. I have it set up conventionally with the extentions over the bar and the pads in the narrower holes. If I can remember correctly they are narrower than the Syntace bars I replaced. Also, they give a great ride and the adjustable extentions allowed me two get my position right on two very different frames.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your insights. As conincidence and luck would have it, we were debating these bars today and wound up selling a bike with them on it. We are really looking forward to the offereings from Hed and Easton. Happy Holidays!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Syntace bars. So does SAC!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are two fundamental problems with the profile carbon x: 1) width of pads, 2) height of pads over base bar.

#1 isn't so much an issue as the previous poster indicated, you simply need to cover your thights and for me, the distances available on the bar work. that said, profile has made an adapter called the "T" bracket which eliminates the "pad beam" and puts the pad right on the top "U" bracket, which holds the extensions when on top of the base bar.

so that leaves #2. most pros (and a few twitchers who posted pics of their modded carbon x's) elimate all hardware on top of the base bar and drop the pads right down on the top of the bar. i've tried this set up, but the pads kept spinning as you only have one whole on which to anchor the pad.

so... rumor has it that another adapter is being trialed with some pros and allows them to drop the pads onto the base bar and eliminate the spin.

in the meantime, if anyone can help me with #2, i'd greatly appreciate the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A timely post. I have been riding a Lucero with Vision base bar and Profile s-bend bars... then thiss week I took out the Kestrel which has the carbon-x on it and was amazed at how wide the arm pads were in relation to my Lucero. I have done 3IMs and 2 half IMs on the kestrel and it is amazingly comfy, but so is my Lucero- different set-ups in the cockpit... one thing to note for me is that the narrower arm position on the Lucero does not give me pain in my left shoulder-blade... hich the Carbon-x postion did

Weeman
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [redlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the arm pad directly on the basebar mod on my carbon X's (about 2 years now).

To stop the arm rest from spinning: use a nice fat washer on the bottom (I painted mine black too) and a lock washer on top under the bolt near the pad. Tighten pretty good. Bottom and top washer disperses the pressure nicely and the lock washer stops the pad from spinning. Works for me. Thought about some blue Locitie on the threads, but it hasn't been necessary.

Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do i the "stack" right? from top to bottom:

soft pad
bolt
lock washer
pad rest
large washer
carbon base bar
nut

still seems that pad would spin, but maybe i have somtething wrong here.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Profile Carbon X- Please answer! [redlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets see (going from memory):

lock washer is between the top bolt head and metal arm rest piece (soft pad is on top of that). Fat washer beneath arm rest (painted black) and another fat washer beneath the "other" nut that holds the bottom aerobar extension to disperse pressure. You can also use the little inch two piece that mounts the aerobar for this instead of a washer on the "extra" bolt. Mine is pretty sold like this, even honking pretty hard on the aerobars with lots of downward elbow force.

Lowers the front by at least 1cm

Last edited by: rroof: Dec 10, 05 22:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mine all rigged, I am not at all using the Profile Mounts and can get them as close as I want.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply