Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good Brick Workouts?
Quote | Reply
Hi~

I need some help putting together a decent bike/run brick. It seems like what I am doing isn't working and I am always slow off the bike but in actuality I am a fast runner by itself. For example, I pre-ran a run leg of a recent Tri (7 miles) in 42 mins but when I did the race a week later I was well into a 7:30 pace by the end. I have Timberman (1/2 Iron) coming up in August and I want to really focus on this weekness so I can have a strong/fast 1/2 marathon. I have done 2 1/2 marathons this year (just running) and posted a 1:26 and 1:29. Ideally I want to be close to the same for the 1/2 IM race. Does anyone have some good workouts that I might want to try to get stronger in this area?

Thanks in advance.

<insert clever motivational thing here>
Quote Reply
Re: Good Brick Workouts? [onyourleftagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have mentioned that I am usually a top5-10 cyclist so perhaps I am going a bit hard on the bike leg?...

<insert clever motivational thing here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A staple of my weekly workouts is a track/brick workout. I start with a 10-15 minute bike warmup (riding to the track) then hit th intervals on the track. I normally do either 800 or mile repeats depending on the upcoming race. For the Musselman 1/2 last year I went with 6 x 1 mile repeats. I run them slightly faster than what I want my race pace to be. I follow each repeat with a 10 minute circuit on my bike, at a pretty good effort just short of race pace. I then finish with 15-20 minute cooldown ride. It encompasses all the elements by forcing you to run on tired legs by the 4th or 5th interval plus you get to perfect your transition. Has worked well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi~

I need some help putting together a decent bike/run brick. It seems like what I am doing isn't working and I am always slow off the bike but in actuality I am a fast runner by itself. For example, I pre-ran a run leg of a recent Tri (7 miles) in 42 mins but when I did the race a week later I was well into a 7:30 pace by the end. I have Timberman (1/2 Iron) coming up in August and I want to really focus on this weekness so I can have a strong/fast 1/2 marathon. I have done 2 1/2 marathons this year (just running) and posted a 1:26 and 1:29. Ideally I want to be close to the same for the 1/2 IM race. Does anyone have some good workouts that I might want to try to get stronger in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Rule of thumb.....

Your run split should be 10% of your run PR of the same distance.

Example" you run a 40 min 10K -- your Run split in a Oly Tri should be around 44 min.

If it is not -- WORK THE BIKE -- it means you are expending to much on the bike, bike more and get in better shape on the bike. note: this of course means biking with-in lactate threshold limits etc. etc. etc. (ie. not blowing yourself up on the bike)
Quote Reply
Re: Good Brick Workouts? [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bike for 20 min, run 2 miles, bike 20, run 2mi, bike 20, run 2 mi. Get to about zone 3 for most of it (75-80% of hr). I have done this on a spinning bike and treadmill for ease of use, but do what you wish. I actually once did a bike 1hr, run 30 mins x 3 one time in preparatin for a 70.3 that was about 4 weeks away. It was a killer but if you can do that, you can probably handle the bike to run in a 1/2 with ease.

And I'm in your boat--better cyclist than runner. Actually pathetic runner, but that's just me.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done an abbreviated version of Gordo's "Focus brick" for 1/2 IM:

He says: RBR: 45min.-2:15-45: 1. First run start easy, end moderate hard 2.bike: 15-20 eZ then 40min. at IM pace & 20 at 1/2 IM pace (repeat) 3. Final run, start easy build up and do 5 min hard 5 min. steady x4. This is not it exactly but what I recall. Also eat and drink as you expect to in the 1/2 IM.

I have managed 30 min. + 2:15 + 35 min. 4 times in the last 6 weeks. It's a toughie, but it simulates 1/2 IM effort I guess. I run 8 min miles and do 3-4 sub 7s on the second run: My PRs are 1:21+ 1/2 marathon & 1:05 for a flat 40K bike (I'm a better runner) My oly times are usually 2:15ish.

We'll see: My first 1/2 Im is in 10 days! My goals are modest: 2:40 bike and sub 1:40 run for a 5 hour race: It's not hilly but will be hot. happy training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just run everytime I get off the bike, period. Everytime I go for a ride, regardless of the ride, I run, some days it's only 15min, other days it's 3hrs.

I am now within that 10% time margin (within 10% of standalone PR time).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my staple brick workout. It is not only a brick workout but transition practice also.

Haul you bike and trainer to the track and set it up either on the track or very close. Setup your regular transition area next to it.

Do a warmup (8 or 10 minutes spinning then a nice easy 400).

Spin 10 minutes at race intensity, jump off do your race transition then run an 800 fast

2 minute rest and resetup your transition area

Spin 8 minutes at race intensity, jump off do your race transition then run an 1200 fast

2 minute rest and resetup your transition area

Spin 8 minutes at race intensity, jump off do your race transition then run an 1600 fast

I've also got rid of the 2 minute rest while training for Duathlons but it not really needed for the workout you want. This will get you used to running with the high HR.
Quote Reply