Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favourite Half Ironman
Quote | Reply
I am considering doing my first half Ironman next summer. Any suggestions! I am willing to travel, but I would prefer to do one within driving distance of southern Ontario. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite Half Ironman [Kris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easy: Whirlpool Steelhead in Benton Harbor, Michigan. It is a wonderful event with a successful track record of being well run on an excellent course.

The race management team includes people from the absolute highest levels of the sport and it shows. The race is a gem and a classic. Superbe race organization and execution, dependable volunteers, great aid statons, an interesting and very diverse course with a strong mix of flat and rolling terrain and both rural and urban vistas. The swim is like being transported to "Michigan's Riviera".

It really is a gem of a race. If you do it, you will rave about it too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Steelhead next weekend for the first time...looking forward to it..I was there to check out the course a few weeks back. That day the water was about 60 degrees. The bike course was really nice, some hilly sections, but nothing too bad. I also live in Southern Ontario, so it's close!!

http://ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always fancied St Croix but don't know anyone that has raced it, so am still looking to see what the infrastructure is like around the race i.e. Accomodation other thanan international hotel chain that could be anywhere in the world, what local food is etc. Anyone help out here?

Eagleman and Vineman are interesting too.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have many, many great choices in southern Ontario. My first (and only) was Peterborough in early July put on by Subaru. Really great race. The swim is a bit weedy, but the water is clean. The bike has lots of rollers so it makes it challenging but not too bad. The run is on country roads and doesn't have much shade. That's the only bad mark I would give the race, but there's not much they can do about that.

The others that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Canadian 1/2 in Ottawa - Labor Day weekend usually

Parry Sound - last weekend in August

Muskoka - long course, but not full 1/2 IM

Collingwood - also not full 1/2 IM (I think!)

Musselman - northern New York in mid July

Tupper Lake - Lake Placid area in late June

Timberman - mid August in New Hampshire

Good luck with it!

Dawn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a IM and 1/2IM in Ottawa, Labor day weekend. See somersault.ca

Tough times don't last, tough people do ;-)
Francois.
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite Half Ironman [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of St. Croix as well. Was headed there back in 2003 when my travel plans had to change due to buisness, so I haven't made it there this year. Maybe in '06 business permitting. I have to hit the right mix of "Busy enough to pay all the bills" and "Not so busy I don't have time to wipe my butt." If it's too slow, I can;t afford to go, if it is too busy.... I can't afford to go. It's been too busy for the last two years almost. No complaints mind you....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favourite Half Ironman [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, the pleasures of being a self-employed businessman, eh?

What time of the year is it usually on, Tom? All things being equal I would look at that for '06 or 7.

Steelhead could well be in the mix too. Thanks for the bearings.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Musselman in Geneva, NY was really nice and sure to be even better next year. Many athletes from Ontario, too! Pretty bike ride!

-----------------------------------------------------
"If you hold on tight to what you think is your thing, you might find you're missing all the rest"

Dave Matthews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll 2nd both Steelhead and Muskoka. While Muskoka isn't quite a 1/2, it's a fantastic race. It's in a beautiful area, has a great course, and brutal competition. All that, and they have spots for a bunch of IM races.

Steelhead is really special. The point to point swim in Lake Michigan, with the dive/leap off the pier to start. I nice rural bike with some rollers, and an interesting mix of rural and urban roads for the run. They have excellent awards (Kitchen Aid mixers, blenders, toasters), great post race food by Pizza Hut, and top notch organization.
Quote Reply