Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

6 weeks to 1st 1/2 IM...training suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I've got about six weeks until my first 1/2 IM and I'm trying to firm up my training plan for this stretch run. Here's a breakdown of where I'm at with each discipline. Any suggested workouts or other training suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm pretty flexible about how I structure my training and want to make sure I spend my training time in the best way possible. Right now I probably have about 12-15hrs/wk (on average) to train.

Swim: typically 3x/week. One long swim (~4,000-4,200 yds) made up of some basic drills and longer repeats (up to 500 yds). One tempo swim (~3,500 yds) with some drills and 12-15 100 repeats w/very limited rest (5-10 sec max). One recovery swim (~3,000 yds) where I work on drills and sighting. I can do 100 SCY repeats on 1:30 send-off (usually coming in between 1:22 and 1:25) for 10 or so repeats without too much trouble.

Bike: typically 3x/week. One long ride (varying between 50-80 mi), one fast group ride (40mi), and one recovery ride (25-30mi). I've done two 80mi rides this year and a bunch of 50-65 milers. My long ride pace is about 19-20mph and my fast ride pace is around 22mph. For sprint and Oly races, I typically average around 23-24mph on rolling courses.

Run: typically 3x/week. One long run (~2hrs), one tempo or fartlek run (~6mi), and one recovery run (3-6mi). I'll often replace the recovery run with a 3mi transition run after my long bike. I've done about 3 or 4 2hr runs so far. My long run pace is around 8:00-8:30min/mi and my tempo pace is around 7:00-7:30min/mi.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks to 1st 1/2 IM...training suggestions? [ThreeWay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race are you doing?

YOu sound like you are in good shape, I am doing the Duke Half on 9/11, and your milage is a lot more than mine...
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks to 1st 1/2 IM...training suggestions? [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Duke 1/2 too. You live in the RTP area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

yes, cary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a pretty good place to be in training. You're doing more than me at the moment, I'm doing my first 1/2 in a month, Timberman.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 weeks to 1st 1/2 IM...training suggestions? [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're doing alot more than me and I have my first IM in 7 weeks. I'm going for a 6-hour finish. You sound like you're going for the podium!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply