Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Bike Shop in Boston area
Quote | Reply
My friend is looking to buy her first road bike, but she is getting frustrated. She has been to a couple of different bike shops & each one has told her she is a different size on the same bike. She is looking for a shop were they will do a true fitting and take the time to explain things (benefits of different frame materials, designs, the right bike for her measurements, etc) to her even though she is "only" spending $1K on a bike. Obviously since she is new, someplace that is also good w/ service & repair shop.

She is looking to spend around the $1000 mark, so is also interested in anyone who has ideas of what bikes to look at - she is 5'3ish. Wants it for road use and to maybe possibly do a triathlon or two next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Bike Shop in Boston area [Dynastar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
International Bike and Wheelworks are the big players and will have entry level stuff. See this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...g=wheelworks;#454605
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to live in Somerville and had several very good experiences with Wheelworks.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Bike Shop in Boston area [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dealt with Jon at International Bicycle Centers in Newton when I bought my Cervelo and had a great experience. I'd go back there in a second and it's about a 3 hr drive for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted on the last shop in Boston thread, but I want to endorse IBC again (I go to the Brighton Ave one). They're knowledgeable and friendly.

Having said that, if your budget is $1000, I may check a place where they sell Giants (ATA Bikes in Somerville does, as I am sure others do as well) and get yourself an OCR 1. Full Shimano 105 for under a grand, can't beat it.

Also, keep in mind that different frame manufacturers measure their frames differently, so a Giant L = Colnago 60 cm = Cervelo 58 cm (I made those things up!). Whereas some of the discrepancy may be due to salespeople trying to make a buck, the rest may just be b/c she's looking at different bike brands at different shops.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply