Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Armstrong talk on local radio station
Quote | Reply
I was listening to the local (Charlotte) sports talk radio show today and they asked the question of whether or not Lance is the greatest athlete in the history of sport. The general concensus was that though he is an incredible athlete and the most successful Tour rider ever, he is not the best athlete ever. Names like Jim Thorpe and Dion Sanders were thrown around. Some of their reasons were valid and others were not, most likely due to not knowing enough about cycling.

They then got on the topic of how silly it is to have the last stage be a virtual procession into Paris and not challenging the leader on the last day out of a show of respect. One of the hosts, a cyclist and fan for many years, was justifying it because it was tradition and a way to honor his achievements over the other stages, which it is. The dissenters argument was that in other sports, you don't have a team giving up in game 7 or the ninth inning or the last round of a golf tournament because they have been beaten up to that point.

Having said all that, I tend to agree with the dissenters. Sure it would be unlikely that Basso or Ullrich would have been able to get the time needed on Armstrong yesterday to take the overall but it sure would make it more exciting and a contest until the end. Why shouldn't they be able to take advantage of a situation that would give them the win? Sure it's tradition but shouldn't the leader and his team be responsible for defending the lead all the way to the end?

Other than that i was glad and a bit surprised that there was no one on there saying cycling wasn't a sport or dimminishing Armstrong's and other cyclists accomplishments and efforts in the Tour or in cycling in general. A pretty big feat coming from the heart of Nascar country.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong talk on local radio station [dmpeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have been mildly suprised to hear the overall positive reaction to Lance's achievements. Escpecially from the sports talk stations that cater to the f-ball, b-ball, & basketball set. The positve remarks from the callers have been a pleasant suprise as well, their demonstrated ignorance to the sport not-withstanding.

BTW, Skip Bayless & King Kaufmann can rot for all I care.

I also find the last stage to be anticlimactic and it frustrates me. It's more of an informal rider tradition than anything I guess. Not always followed(Ex Hinault circa late 70's I think) But I guess If I was taking a hammer to my legs for three weeks straight I'd wanna give myself a break at the end and enjoy the scenery for at least one day.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong talk on local radio station [martytram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
untill we see Lance do something acrobatic while 250 pound freaks of muscle and speed and agility are trying to tear his head off (or at least stop him), people who favor team sports are not going to be impressed enough to call him the greatest athlete ever.

Watch Barry Sanders twist and turn and avoid tackles, watch Deion return a punt, watch Michael Jordan spin and turn and bounce off of people and then just RISE in the air and shoot a fucking basketball into the net with a 7 foot behemouth sticking his hand in his face.... and compare it to a guy riding a bike (even up hill) and I also find it hard to rank Lance high as an overall ATHLETE

EDIT: WHOAH!!! did I say "I also find it hard to rank Lance high?" That is not how I feel. He is definently top 10 material. Just not #1.

beyourownsuperhero
Last edited by: igobackwards: Jul 25, 05 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong talk on local radio station [dmpeak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "tradition" of making a parade out of the last stage is really based on the reality that by that point, the race is decided. Since there is no way someone is going to gain a minute or 2 on the leader on a flat 90K stage, the competitors accept the inevitable and let the pressure off.

It is the same thing that happens when a basketball team is up 20 points with 2 minutes left, its just played out over a longer time span. Parading into Paris is no different than a basketball coach who has an insurmoutable lead pulling his starters one by one to give them a chance to be acknowledged by the fans and it is not at all unusual for a sports team to acknowledge defeat before the actual end of the game and go out peacefully.

If someone was actually within striking distance on the last day, you can bet they'd be sprinting for every time bonus and the last day would be as wild and intense as an overtime playoff game.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong talk on local radio station [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is not true. They would not be sprinting.

They'd STILL be spinning through the streets sipping champagne.

I think it'd be great and exciting, but it wouldn't happen.

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong talk on local radio station [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that it would be next to impossible to get away with such a flat stage, I'm just saying it would be more exciting if they would try. 20 points might be too much to come back from in 2 minutes but something like 12-15 points is possible, even if it's not likely. And it is more exciting to watch a team try and come back than to lay down. Especially considering you have nothing to lost, no more tomorrow to try again.
Quote Reply
Re: Armstrong talk on local radio station [igobackwards] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]That is not true. They would not be sprinting..[/reply]

Yeah, just like Vino and Levi at the first hotspot. I wish I could "not sprint" like that.
Quote Reply