Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have thought all the time you spent with the Cincy chicks would have turned you into a card-carrying feminist. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [onyourleftagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did anyone actually HEAR Paula say anything at all or are you basing everything on the second hand info that transpired off Ironmanlive.com which is not exactly known for being accurate...
they can't even get who won what when and where....so unless Paula made an official statement, that's all BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So second hand "info" speculation is OK when it comes to accusing cyclists of being on drugs, but not when talking about commentators statements?

Just trying to make sure I understand the rules here.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Tyrius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my info isn't second hand...rest deleted to avoid a pissing contest...
Last edited by: Francois: Jul 25, 05 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sad part about all sport tied to money is sport is treated as entertainment and as such, the prize is determined by the return on money question. The only reason the female prize is the same as male is because of outside pressure. Now if women can give you a bigger return for your money, than I can see their prize money being even greater than male athletes. The best one was the $100,000 prize offered to male or female triathlete, whomever came in first, with the females given a headstart. In that case, the female won. Not sure how they determined how much headstart to give to the females, but it shouldn't have been more than 10% of the fastest male time (around 10minutes)
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Women deserve the same fair size and shate at the prize purse as men. [/reply]

Neither male or female athletes "deserve" anything. The world will survive without pros, so there is no need to protect them, they can be subject to the open market. And if people are willing to pay for male basketball players and not females, for female tennis players and not males, then so be it. These athletes are not owed any favors any more as a singer or an actor is. If people are willing to pay them, they can, if not, tough luck.

Now, in triathlon that probably means that 50/50 is a pretty good idea, as there are a lot of people (male and female) interested in both sexes when it comes to racing. But that's a business decision, not a more one. If it were, then what do you do with a pro sport that is not viable in the femal version but is in the male version? Do you shut it down just because you can't provide pay equity?

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just as interested in the womens triathlon results as I am the men. The men are faster, but the womens races are just as exciting, especially when you are familiar with the names; Natascha, Lindquist, Bowden, Williams, etc... So 50/50 is definately fair.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [onyourleftagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Delogne was a total stud. The man's split was only behind Hellriegel and Larsen on the all time LP bike split list and behind Larsen.

I'm not gonna comment on what was and what was not said on Ironmanlive as I was on the race course.

What I do know is that I truly believe that the ladies head start was a bit tight. I was on the start line and the last ladies went through in 32 min, 3 min before out age group gun went off. All I could feel was sorry and fear for them getting hammmered by the age group men.

A 45 minute headstart would (in most normal years), take care of a woman crossing first. But Delogne is not your average age grouper. There is no "simple formula" in these things. I think Ironman North America did a great job and if it was just "mere mortal age groupers" Stefan Kramer, Pierre Lavoie and Carmen Monks (if you can call them that) at the front end of the field, then Heather would have crossed the line first.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did anyone actually HEAR Paula say anything at all or are you basing everything on the second hand info that transpired off Ironmanlive.com which is not exactly known for being accurate...
they can't even get who won what when and where....so unless Paula made an official statement, that's all BS.

You can see and hear it for yourself...

Her comments that seemed to make it sound like he had no chance on the run come 3:32 into the video

http://boss.streamos.com/...d/bikehighlights.wvx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This isn't to defend PNF but I was in the race and also at her pre-race presentation concerning the pro women's showcase. PNF indicated that the reason for the 35 minute head start for the women was so that they could race head to head without being engulfed by the men (both Pro and AG men) as is the case in other IMs. She indicated that she was hopeful that the 35 minutes would be enough time for the Pro women to finish the race before the first AGer crossed the finish line. She even joked that she might have to have the men do another loop if it looked like an AGer would finish before the pro women. Obviously, 11 men finished before Heather so PNF and company may have to go back to the drawing boards in order to come up with a strategy for showcasing the women pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched the video and to say that Paula was Diss'ing anyone seems like a real stretch to me. She is laughing as she says that Tony will be passed on the run. Seems like a lighthearted comment that is more about the women not holding off a 35 minute advantage than a slam against the male athlete.

My vote (after watching the video) No Diss.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She said she wanted her girls across the line 1st (in jest IMO). They were both laughing when Welch brought it up. Folks are making too much of this. They underestimated the time gap and dude was just plain fast. That's it. In general ideal conditions and athletes that are feeling there best or better than expected can add up to blistering times. You can't plan for everything. From what I heard she didn't seem like a butthole.

BTW thanks for the link.

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Re: Paula Newby Fraser's disrespect to Tony Delogne [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't think PNF is known for her niceness or sense of humour. However, she is an athlete with an amazing record, and deserves some respect.
I guess the same would stand for Tony Delogne then...
Quote Reply

Prev Next