Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lucky day? Or not...
Quote | Reply
As many of you know, I've given up the rest of the 2005 triathlon season and am focusing on run training due to a shoulder injury that prevents me from swimming as well as riding in the aero bars. I don't need great shoulders to run however, so I'm [posing as] a runner now.

Today I went out for an easy loop and on my way home, two cars passed - so I had to move way over to the side of the road. This particular road has a ~4cm drop from the ashphalt to the 1 foot wide drainage section beside the curb, and as moved over I rolled my ankle and went down pretty hard.

I looked up and saw a big truck tyre a lot closer to my head than I normally like, and quickly rolled up over the curb and onto the grass. Somehow as I was rolling around in pain, I managed to stop the clock on my watch. ;-)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that both cars had stopped and that the drivers were coming over to see if I was okay. One even wanted to watch me walk around for a bit, to "prove" that I was in good enough condition to get home on my own (I was only about 1km from home). I got up, found that I could put weight on the ankle, and thanked them for stopping. Then I limped the rest of the way home, popped 1200mg of Advil, and put an ice pack on it.

So.... Lucky or not?

Unlucky: I got injured

Lucky: I could very easily have been run over by a truck, and the injury isn't terribly bad. Yes, I'm still limping around - but I can walk on it.

I think that I got off lucky. Sure it would be far better to not be injured, but at least I'm able to post here about it. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Lucky day? Or not... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you lucky bastard! RICE that sucker, hear?

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you behind in your monthly payments to ( PB, I still crack up over that one, it was some of my best work) you may want to start looking there:)))))))))

Glad to hear your okay,

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Last edited by: Heavy D: Jul 25, 05 2:48
Quote Reply
Re: Lucky day? Or not... [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're a "glass half full" sort of guy! Good for you!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucky. Hurt is way better than hurt badly, or dead.

I rolled my ankle exactly 2 weeks ago, so "Ah feel your pain." (said in best faux Bill Clinton voice ;-).

RICE, RICE, and more RICE. Did I mention? RICE.

The first 2 days are critical. REST as much as possible, elevate it as much as possible (stay home all day, both days to do so), ICE it for 20-30 mins or so at a time, every few hours. Keep a nice snug ace bandage or neoprene brace on it the rest of the time. Sleep w/ yer leg elevated on a few pillows.

I got mixed advice on using NSAIDS, but I used 'em anyway. And I still am. I'm still icing 2-3x / day as well.

You might wanna do a search (as was recommended to me - THX!) for an active release therapy (A.R.T.) provider in your area. I've been for 4 sessions so far, and it, along with the ultrasound, E-stim, etc - has been helping. ART really f'n hurts however....

FWIW - You probably won't be able to run for a coupla weeks, depending on the severity. So, once the swelling is down a bit, you can do some pool running (do a search here for the great info from DougStern, or get it from his own website), and then mebbe start doing easy spinning on the bike (trainer only, at first) to keep some aerobic fitness.

Good luck!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lucky day? Or not... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks fellas. I've been icing it as much as possible (staying home isn't exactly an option), and have tried to stay off it as best I can. There's a dull sort of ache, but nothing I'd classify as actual pain. Having been replaying the situation in my head, I think I was extremely lucky. The only time I like having my head that close to a tyre is when it's up on jackstands and I've got a wrench in my hand.

I hope I'm not out of action for weeks, but having tried to come back from injury too early a few times in my younger days, know better than to rush it.

Hmmmm - can't swim, run, or ride... No handbike... Stay off the feet... Maybe I can do a billion situps or something. ;-)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply