Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My max heart rate is scary low
Quote | Reply
I have never actually gotten around to trying to find out what my max heart rate is until last weekend when we went to the mountains(4500ft). There were a ton of good hills so I decided to give it a whirl and find out. Best I could manage was 172. At 31 the 220-age puts me at 189. What gives? I know it's not all that accurate of a formula but 17 bpm is a huge spread. Is it possible that something is wrong with me or is this kind of spread not uncommon? For what it's worth I was difinately not tired or overtrained before the test if anything it would be the opposite. I have never seen my heart rate get out of the 160's before but I just thought it was because I was not trying to find out what my max was. Anyone have any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [weak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say don't worry about it. Some people have a higher MHR than others. I believe that it is Spencer Smith who also has a relatively low one. He has done OK with it, hasn't he?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
certainly at the low end, but by itself not much to worry about. Standard deviation of HR max is +/- 15, which means that 2/3 of the population are withing 220 - age +/- 15, with the rest being outside of that. You're certainly close to that.

Of course, make sure you did hit your 'true' max. How'd ya do it?

Josef

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is a new formula for max heart rate from runner's world "205 minus half your age", but in your case it comes out to be the exact same as the old formula.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [jonny dough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh a new formula...that's just as wrong as the original formula but for a different set of people.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you explain? i know that the formulas are only estimates and you would have to do testing to actually get your max but you said that both formula produce the wrong answers, so besides testing what should we be using?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran up a long hill as fast as I could until I had to stop and walk. Basically it was up and down non stop for about 4.5 miles and I pushed as hard as I could.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
first of all, 4500' is not mountains and at that altitude it will not impact anything. As for the low max heart rate, is not that important. Its all about VO2 max and LT. My MHR is 145. Its funny to see when I'm at the club pounding away at a 7:00 minute mile on the treadmill and my heart rate is 130-133. People think I must be really fast but a 7:00 minute mile is a really good effort.
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's mountains when you live at 500 ft. The reason I posted the altitude was so no one would think I was running in Denver or somewhere high enough that the o2 would actually be a factor. Don't know why it bothers me but for some reason I feel like a wimp with my low max hr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet in a competitive situation you could top that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Best I could manage was 172.
Yeah, so? Sounds to me like you might have simply happned on your lactate threshold heart rate and not max heart rate. As others have said, stop worrying about max heart rate and instead try to determine your LTHR on the bike (it will be different for swim and run) and then with that number in hand, you can analize just how much overhead you have between the floor and the ceiling. Think of it this way, a max HR of 200 is useless if average training tempo requires someone to work at 180 bpm whereas a LTHR of 172 would be pretty good if you typically maintain 100-120 bpm at training tempo - gives you another 50-60 bpm to work with when things start to get hard!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok so have you got a link for a test to find LT for the bike and run. If it helps sadly(I suck at hills on the bike and run) it took 45 minutes and I had an avg hr of 152.
Last edited by: weak: Jul 22, 05 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd say don't worry much about it. i kinda freaked when i found my hr was a bit higher than normal...205. but there's really nothing you can do about it. it's genetic.

________

70.3 is the cousin to OD........ Ironman has no relatives! -Simon Lessing

Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [jonny dough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both poduce wrong answers for a different people. IOW one formula might work for one group and the other formula may work for another. Neither will work for everyone.

"so besides testing what should we be using? "

IMO nothing. The ONLY accurate method is testing. Sure 220-Age or 205- (1/2 age) may be accurate enough (I was going to put work here but it really doesn't work for anyone just is less off for some than others) for 75% of the population, but what happens if you're in the 25%. You won't know until you test.

I happen to be in the 25%, 36 yrs old and have seen HR as high as 201-203 as recent as last year. One formula would put me at 187 the other at 184. Doing a track workout the other day I hit 192 at something less than 100% effort. It was HOT though.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heart rate does not matter. The power you produce aty any given heart rate is what matters.

I have a low heart rate too. The older I get, the more it drops. I am pretty sure that my current max is 173-174 (I am 41). I am going pretty darn hard in the 150's and about as hard as I can go in the mid 160's. It might take the top of a hard climb on a hot day to find that 173-174.
Quote Reply
Re: My max heart rate is scary low [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what's the best way for test? Doing stress tests? My hr on the run is ~200 and on the bike it's 190. So what methods do you use to estimate zones? Percentages of of max hr? I calculated my lthr to be ~ 164bpm but I don't put much credance towards to that. I w/flower my avg hr was 166bpm with no problems.
Quote Reply