Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike commute 'work-out'?
Quote | Reply
I've searched on this to no avail, so I'm here looking for advice. I'm training for my second ironman, and this year, unlike the last, have incorporated a twice weekly bike commute to work (round trip = 56 miles) just to get more hours in without missing out on family time. This is by no means an easy ride - incorporating tempo and hills into the ride with full panniers.

Question: how can this be compared to a normal 3 to 3.5 hour ride - with no 9 hour break in between? Note, I am also doing a long, endurance ride on the weekend (4 to 5 hours).

thanks

John
Quote Reply
Re: bike commute 'work-out'? [jvanalsb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all depends on effort - very hard to compare. I do a 45 mile roundtrip commute. Once warmed up, I normally TT the majority of the ride at a heart rate 10% -15% higher than Ironman pace. Some evenings I feel just as tired as if I did a 3 or 3.5 hour ride. Somedays I use the ride as a recovery ride and back off to an effort slightly below Ironman pace. I don't know when your Ironman race is but 4 to 5 hours isn't long enough - need to get ot 5.5 to 6.5 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: bike commute 'work-out'? [jvanalsb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar commute, but only do it once a week currently, 30 miles one way. I have been doing this commute for about 6 months, and have notice that it works best (for me mind you) if I use it as a race pace ride. I try to even split my morning bike in with my afternoon bike home. That means I have to put a little bit more into on the way home. For me its very comparable ti my weekend 3 hour ride. A few times I have tried tempo or hill repeats, but it seems to be too much for me to handle right now, and my legs are trash the next day. I could probable do one way tempo, the other way recovery....haven't tried that yet

Biggest benefit so far is being able to stay in aero longers, since I have a 8 hour break in between, my neck and back don't get as sore.

-bcreager
Quote Reply