Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Survivor Alaska, 58F HIM swim
Quote | Reply
I survived a 58F swim last weekend! My “A” race, a local HIM called the 13th Annual Sourdough Triathlon was last Saturday. Sourdough is Alaska’s longest triathlon, a small race with 31 starters this year and is a bargain at $30. This year’s entry form can be found here if you are interested: http://www.turkeytoe.com/Forms/Sourdough%20Triathlon%20Entry%202004.pdf

Training and taper went pretty well. My previous best at this race 6 years ago was almost 6 hours. With some experience, Slowtwitch/Gordo/Going Long reading, a better bike and better training I figured if I had a great day I’d go 5:05. The day went well and I finished in 5:10.

The swim was really cold, allegedly 58F water. They cut a channel out of the gravel pit, so the springs are constantly freshening and cooling the water. I came very close to quitting on the first lap. I probably started too fast and ended up having trouble breathing and a frozen face. I spent probably 25% on the first lap on my back kicking (Terry Laughlin and Total Immersion would of been proud)—just trying to catch my breath and let my face thaw. I eventually started to swim more normally, but was sure glad to crawl out of the water in just under 40 minutes.

The bike went great once I warmed up and stopped wobbling after about 7 miles. I hoped to ride 20 mph and managed that. Funny how you can see 21 and 22 mph or better on your bike computer most of the ride and have the turn-arounds and short hills really slow your average. I had a first on the bike, I peed! The second lap I was dying to pee, so on a downhill with only a truck coming from the other direction, I leaned to one side, pulled down the shorts and let it fly. Oh my, that was a relief. I was still going at the bottom of the hill but lost speed and had to get back to pedaling, but that lasted me for the race. I tried to bike smart, standing to stretch and change positions on all the little hills, while sitting up and spinning on the bigger hills. Finished the bike in 2:40.

Hoped to run around 7:30 pace, but started at 8:30s and pretty much stayed there. The run felt warm and I felt close to going over the edge, so I stuck it out at that pace and finished the run in 1:47, total time 5:10 for 6th overall and 3d master. With my slow swim, I ended up not being passed on the bike or run, but passing quite a few folks—that’s a nice mental boost!

The winner, Jens Beck from Anchorage was awesome, posting the best swim, bike and run splits: 27, 2:23, 1:22 for a 4:13. Jens has excelled in numerous “Lower-48” races, finishing third at the Vineman Half last year.

Thanks for all the Slowtwitch advice and inspiration.
Quote Reply
Re: Survivor Alaska, 58F HIM swim [Bill Young] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, that is awesome. A 1/2IM in Alaska in 58 degree water? Totally epic. And it sounds like you had a great race, another bonus!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply