Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cuboid syndrome
Quote | Reply
I did Lake Placid Ironman 05', since then have foot pain near the 5th metatarsal on bottom. Undergoing active release w/o much success. Anyone had experience good or bad regarding how log till you got releif or what really worked or not! Doesn't hurt in flip/flops, only when wearing running shoes! All bone scans and MRI's have been negative!
Quote Reply
Re: cuboid syndrome [jaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell us who wins?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a dislocated cuboid in college. Found a doc who could pop it back into place (and it did "pop"), when had to have my foot taped in what's called a lo-die cofiguration for 6 weeks. No running, and couldn't swim. But I could ride. Never had a problem since.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this post would be about how we go insane working in little cubicles. I'm so looking forward to my ride home today. Good luck.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read an article in Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical therapy that discussed a case series on cuboid syndrome. As brider said, if properly diagnosed as cuboid syndrome, a manipulation may be all you need. Since you have had your pain for a while, it may require more than one manipulation, but all of the patients in this case series that I read were able to return to sports after either 1 or 2 treatments. It's worth a look. The difficult part may be finding someone who is familiar with the technique.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Last edited by: Lieutenant_Dan: Jul 22, 05 9:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do this (and this is the ONLY manipulation that I do). A quick "snap" back in and a low-dye taping (as another poster has mentioned) is usually all that is needed. Try to fix you biomechanics that are causing this as well, obviously.

Quote | Reply
[reply]I did Lake Placid Ironman 05', since then have foot pain near the 5th metatarsal on bottom. Undergoing active release w/o much success. Anyone had experience good or bad regarding how log till you got releif or what really worked or not! Doesn't hurt in flip/flops, only when wearing running shoes! All bone scans and MRI's have been negative![/reply]

Beware missed diagnosis. See spained ankle thread.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: cuboid syndrome [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)

Quote | Reply
I've dealt with numerous cases of this. ART is not the treatment of choice for this. There is a chiropractic "adjustment" specific for the cuboid bone. Usually works very well after a few treatments. In difficult cases I've also ordered custom orthotics.
Quote Reply
Re: cuboid syndrome [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have an article or actual adjustment term that I can give to my PT or chiropractor/ART doc to try? I have been messing with this since Lake Placid last july! My chiro doc/ART doc does lots of Ironman tri's and would be willing to try anything for me. She is actually at Lake Placid now! I will also try orthotics !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
search achives on any orthopedic/podiatric online journal for "cuboid syndrome" and the "whip" will be there. Relatively easy to perform. Don't know if chiro's publish this kind of stuff.

Quote | Reply
the technique I am referring to is known as the "cuboid whip". Tell your PT it's in the current issue of JOSPT, it's the feature article.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Do you have an article or actual adjustment term that I can give to my PT or chiropractor/ART doc to try?"

I've got some photos in one of my text books. Just did a google and came up short for an actual technique. The "cuboid whip" that Lt. Dan mentions is one method but I prefer a method where the patient lays prone. I cradle the foot with my left hand and take a pisiform contact of my right hand over the cuboid on the bottom of the foot. I then traction with my left hand and do a quick thrust with my right hand. Quite often you'll hear a nice "crack" sound as the cuboid releases.

I've used both methods but find the whip move a little harder to do sometimes.
Quote Reply