Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race??
Quote | Reply
Hi All: Two quick things...

1) Is anyone doing this race?

2) Should this race actually happen since the forecast is for a humid 100 degree day with heat index around 115? Very strange for Chicago area - current record high is only 93 degrees for race date.
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [Monster Trunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the First Annual Waukegan Inferno Triathlon as well. Want a ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [Monster Trunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never too hot or cold, just adjust your pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [Chest Rockwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't accept rides from strangers named Chest on internet boards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got candy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump.

Seriously. Does anyone else here think that this may be a bit on the dangerous side?

(The wicked heat, you pervs.)
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [Chest Rockwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Spirit of Racine 1/2 the same day and yes I'm a bit worried about the safety of it. I expect to see people dropping like flies.

"It's not how far you go, it's how go you far"
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [ChiBri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully some jackass doesn't sue the RD for the heat related problems, of course it won't be the athletes fault they signed up for the race and decided to race in the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [ChiBri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. That will be dangerous. I ran a half marathon in Indy two years ago where it was "warm" and humid. The temperature was only in the low 80s. One person died and four others had severe heat stroke. Granted, there are 35000 people in the race.

The Harbor Lights triathlon is just a sprint. However, it is generally a training stop for people prepping for the Chicago triathlon. There are a large number of participants (around 1500), and a ton of newbees. I'm not worried for people who have done races in the past. I'm worried about those who will be doing it for the first time and probably aren't familiar with warning signs from their bodies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not doing the race but looked at the race website. I can't believe it doesn't start until 8! I will be racing in Boulder on sunday but the first wave goes off at 6:30. I guess at least the course is short but 8 seems way late to me, especially in July
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's just a sprint. And a short one at that. It will be over by 10:30. Yes, it will be hot by then, but not 100 yet. Probably not even 90. I'll be there. Checking out the medical tent before the race, just to be sure.

Partially-Hydrogenated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Bump.

Seriously. Does anyone else here think that this may be a bit on the dangerous side?

(The wicked heat, you pervs.)[/reply]

There are two other races going on the same day in the area. The Racine 1/2 and Milwaukee Xterra. I dont think any will be cancelled. Like someone said before you need to adjust your pace and prepare for the xtreme conditions. It may be cooler by the lake.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a 10K in the same area on Sunday and I'm also worried about the heat. Like the others have suggested, I will just adjust my pace from "racing" to "surviving" speed if necessary.

Around 1990 the Chicago Triathlon was known as the Stroh's Chicago Triathlon. We were finishing the OLY run bbout 11AM and I was just running from light post to trash can to whatever else was up ahead about 50 yards, then walking a bit. I remember looking down the one mile stretch along the harbor and estimating that at any one time only about 10% of the runners were running. It was brutal but the beer tasted real good when we were done. Did some extra hydrating as I recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
XTerra is going to be brutal. The race doesn't start until 11am. I guess I am lucky I race well in the heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes..if I were you I would ask the RD and make certain that the truth is true about ICE being on the course. You can put it under your hat, in your shorts, where ever it will cool you.

I did a 93 degree half where all the aid stations were serving hot water and hot Gatoraide syrup...horrible, and I think dangerous.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This current heat wave reminds me of way back
during that aweful month that Chicago had really
hot temps and alot of people died during that
week or two period. Maybe 1994, 1995 or 1996.

That same weekend we raced Leon's........anyone
remember Leon's. It was the hottest I have ever
raced. It had to be 100 degrees that weekend and
we raced.

Just slow the pace down, drink, and just finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Harbor Lights Triathlon (Chicago Area) - Too Hot To Race?? [BamaIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leons QEM?? Back in the good ole days
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm racing, it'll be fun!!!! WOO HOO As of right now, it's supposed to be 80 at race time and partly cloudy. No worries. Come on, it's july!!!
Quote Reply