Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming in bib shorts?
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the Vineman 1/2 next weekend - my first long tri. I find bib shorts to be more comfortable than regular bike shorts. Is it feasible to do the swim in bib shorts? I have a wetsuit, and hopefully the water will be cool enough to use it.

Other than looking like a dork, which will hopefully be mitigated by all the other dorks around, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [technikal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do all my races in bibs, including my one IM. I wear a jersey over them and under my wetsuit-it cuts down on the dork factor. I, too, really like the significant comfort advantage of bibs. I have never had a problem running in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without a shirt over them wouldn't they act like a parachute?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a tri suit with minimal padding and and one of the thinner bike seat pads. I use the one for Flite saddles and it has worked for me. One the road I ride in only bibs....but could not imagine running in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree 100%...exactly what I do...
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [TriDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeSoto makes a bib with a tri pad. I wear them riding, but have never tried to run in them. I wouldn't think that would be an issue, as I have used them swimming (I have a pool and sometimes jump in and swim a few laps after biking on a hot night). The bibs are no problem in the pool, but if I ever decided to wear them in a race I would definitley wear a shirt, I think it would look pretty funny just swimming in them (which is why I only do it in my backyard).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But then won't you come out of the water soaking wet? Vineman will likely be chilly early. Especially if wearing a jersey under the wetsuit that then stays soaked for awhile on the bike. I'm thinking bare upper body under the wetsuit, then put on a dry top in T1.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't an issue for me in '03 - the wind drys you pretty quickly, and you will appreciate the cool morning air once you are on the run.

I have a 6:54 tee time, plan on swimming in my tri top, but may bring arm warmers - probably won't wear them, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to take them off for the run? I have good luck with a one-piece skinsuit for racing, but the bricks I have done with bibshorts have just KILLED my nipples. I like bibshorts, but I like them for riding ONLY.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would put on a dry jersey in transition. I've run many times in bibs and haven't found it to be a problem. I've just never swam in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I did a long brick that finished with a 10 mile run in a pair of Perl bibs. By the end of the run the suspenders made my nipples bleed. Have you ever done a long run in your bibs?

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [frogonawire 6.2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
de soto shorts are one of my favorite. Their pad just seems to work perfect for me. not sure I would want to run in a bib though, as it might be too hot!

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in bib shorts? [swmrdrn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done three half and one full IM in bibs-no problems on the run.
Quote Reply