Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Upping iron levels quickly [PrincessofPain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrincessofPain wrote:
Jen,
You are correct in stating you aren't clinically iron deficient, but a ferritin of 30 is fairly low and indicative of really low iron stores. I'm a hematology nurse and would suggest finding a local hematologist who has some kind of athletic back ground or knowledge. If your training is consistant and a pretty tough load, your ferritin won't come up any time soon. If you can't handle the GI symptoms with oral iron, a few iron infusions may greatly improve your energy level and quickly bring your ferritin up to a decent level.

Mine came back at 19.5, with Hgb of 13.8/Hct 36. The MD thought all things in life were fine, but I knew better on this arena and pulled scholarly articles to back it up in case I am questioned.

I have started ferrous fumerate with additional Vit. C for a month to see if it helps (which it will).
Quote Reply
Re: Upping iron levels quickly [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been watching this thread to see if there was any discussion that came up, that I haven't tried. I have a history of low iron and sometimes have plummeted into anemia. I am also gluten intolerant, so I thought resolving that 100% would correct it. Nope. My doc added hydrochloric acid/pepsin/combo supplement to help better digest my food. Plus I was still on higher doses of iron/vit C.

Long story short, I've had a weird mix of symptoms.... and it was H. Pylori. I had no acid stomach symptoms, and I've had regular/solid BM's so this was news to me. Plus the iron I was taking fuels the bacteria, as does the HCI. Many of my additional weird symptoms were likely the ammonia in my system. So I'm sharing this...my low iron has been caused by a little bacteria, and possible silent ulcers. I wish they had tested me sooner, and I wish I haven't suffered this long. The iron supplements did help me feel better, but at the same time made things worse.
Last edited by: LoriT: Feb 26, 14 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this thread. I've been feeling like crap and at my endo appt last week (I have existing thyroid issues), my ferratin came back at 13 where 12 is the bottom of the scale at my lab. I'm already on 125mg a day and all my doc said was 'take more.' Truthfully, otherwise she's an outstanding endo but this felt a little glib to me given how bad I'm struggling. I'm going to go get Floradix tomorrow and start chugging it.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Upping iron levels quickly [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my iron levels retested last month and they'd climbed up to 58. I took 100mg of Gentle Iron daily to get it there.

Are there iron injections or IV solutions? I'd think she'd be more alarmed than that if you are so low.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to try thats relatively cheap and easy is Blackstrap molasses. I mix it with my coffee in the morning as a sugar replacement. Since its loaded with all the "good" stuff thats stripped out of refined sugar, you get the extra boost of other minerals too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next