Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chattanooga Tri
Quote | Reply
Did anyone do this race? How was the new course? The swim times are lightening fast quick. Was the swim course downhill with a tailwind and current? I hate to have missed the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Tri [Lamar Latrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Did anyone do this race? How was the new course? The swim times are lightening fast quick. Was the swim course downhill with a tailwind and current? I hate to have missed the race.

I did. I never raced the old course, but thought the nwe course was fantastic. The greatest venue for any race I've ever done; however, I don't travel to race much and have only done a few races outside Alabama. View down Tennessee river at swim start was amazing. Three bridges to swim under, limestone bluffs illuminated by rising sun, and mountains in background. Current in river was significant. I'd guess 5-7 minute help for me. Bike course was great and fast (better warnings about speed bumps at turnaround were needed -- but they know and won't make same mistake next year). Real water bottles on the bike course. Run was partially shaded, and had great views as you ran along the river, but late starters were significantly affected by heat when cloud cover broke later in race. Many I talked with found the run surprisingly challenging. Finish at Riverwalk and post race food and beer was great.

Only problem (other than speedbump warning issue) was that they had way more spectators than anticipated and no food for them. Next year they will have vendors to sell food to spectators. With the problems fixed, this race will go from a "A" to an A+.

I was also amazed by the Chattanooga riverfront area -- beautiful job by city. Will return next year with family -- though will probably visit with family even sooner.

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Tri [Lamar Latrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim was downstream in the river so the swim times were fast. Most people swam splits 3-5min faster than normal. Overal was a good race, only complaint is the how the start is setup. You have to line up for the shuttle 1h15min before the start of the race AND you're not allowed to warmup in the water. That being said I'll likely race it next year. Next time I'll bring someone along who's not going to race and wants to watch so that I can warm up like normal and have them drive me to the swim start closer to the start time.
Quote Reply
Re: Chattanooga Tri [NTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race was nicely done and yes the current in the river was a nice help to improve your swim split. Also nice was that the TT start made for very little drafting despite about 600 competitors on a 2 lap bike course. The scenery of the course is fantastic and next year the city is planning to light the large torches at the waterfront.
Here is a little hint regarding the start. Take a pair of old running shoes and either run or walk that mile to the start. All competitors got silver backs to drop off stuff before the swim start and to retrieve after the race. As I walked with a few friends to the start I saw people warming up/running more than half way towards the start and then return to then take the bus. :-)
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply