Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Dura-Ace 10 Speed: WE GOT IT!
Quote | Reply
One of our primary wholesale distributors phoned us today to tell us they are shipping us one new 2004 model year Shimano Dura-Ace 10 speed component group. On Wednesday we were able to examine a group first hand when Bill Rehor, our Shimano Outside Sales Rep. and Dan, the Shimano Technical Rep. visited our store. Each of the "favored dealers" who are on this distributor's list are eligible for 1 group with no choice of specifications, first come, first serve, no substitutions. The group is 53/39 chainrings, 172.5mm cranks, 12-25 10 speed cogset and no hubs or headset. Of course, this group is long since sold. No 175mm cranks or bar-end shifters are available yet. We'll install the group on a customer's bike (we have at least eight groups sold already) and give everyone some feedback. We're excited to test the new stuff!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Dura-Ace 10 Speed: WE GOT IT! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom, i am very interested to hear about the new ergonomics. amidst all the hubbub of price and availability and all i really think the most interesting aspect of the new DA group has been lost. the new hoods possess a fairly bold reshaping, and now are quite a bit different in that regard from previous shimano or campy paradigms ( ...just find a side view in an ad someplace and compare!). can't wait to hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in knowing the difference in retail price, which I presume will be an increase, compared to the 9-speed group.

I saw 10-speed build kits for frames going for US$600 more than 9-speed on a site recently. If that's the price rise then Shimano has just made 10-speed Chorus the best deal in cycling components. But I'm admittedly basing that observation on a build kit price offered by a retailer who probably wants to sell off his 9-speed kits as soon as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate to burst anyone's bubble but given a choice, Campagnolo Record still rules supreme IMO. And that's from a guy that owns three bikes all with ShimaNO.
Quote Reply
Re: New Dura-Ace 10 Speed: WE GOT IT! [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of my road bikes are Campy, with the exception of my Cross bikes and one still 'unconverted' road bike. I prefer the feel of the Campy Ergo levers, and the ease of shifting down into the lower gears from the drops on my road bikes to the 'two paddle' system on the Shimano STI road levers.

Of course, on a Tri bike, that isn't an issue. The shifting on my DA 650 with Shimano ders, FSA cranks with a set of their 55/44 Tri rings and the DA bar ends is crisp, clean, and reliable. I have seen a few Campy bar ends for some of the very rare Campy Tri bikes, but have no experience as to how they shift or hold up.

So, as much as I am an Italia fan, and love my vintage rides with all of their Record and Super Record mechs, Shimano makes some lovely stuff too. On the other hand, the looks of the new 2004 DA crank is going to have to grow on me a bit. To be blunt, it looks, well, UGGGLLLYY. Dave
Quote Reply