Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri America Louisville
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done this? i am contemplating doing this with a couples girlfriends (sprint) on july 30th.. feedback anyone? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why don't you do it and see how it goes? i'm sure it'a good race...not too far away...and only a sprint...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well I am asking mainly because my only experience with tri america was cleveland in 03, and it was a disaster.. i am trying to figure out if they got their act together.. would you join us? we could make it a little girls trip..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we will have to swim in the Ohio River!!! Hopefully they will remove all of the washing machines, car parts and dead bodies from the course. Looked at last years results, slow bike times!! Hilly or windy I wonder. I am NOT happy that I am now going to be in your age group Marisol! ;-) Maybe my parents are wrong and I'll only be 29 on Sunday! Should be a fun girls weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [greydog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh... blame you dear friend brenna.. I just talked to her and asked if we should do the indy race, she said you wanted to do louisville and i invited myself along! if that is ok... and you'll see... 30 is a great age :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you should come with us if your knee feels okay!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i am contemplating doing this with a couples girlfriends

I could think of more interesting things you could do with a couple of girlfriends :-P

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
i am contemplating doing this with a couples girlfriends

I could think of more interesting things you could do with a couple of girlfriends :-P
DIRTY!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, I'm a pig.

not as bad as record though.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]yep, I'm a pig.

not as bad as record though.[/reply]

What did HE do? LOL You married guys are BAD!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's possible...but swimming in the ohio river? i'd need to think about that one--that's really gross :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not so sure about swimming in the ohio river either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do swim in the Ohio, and it isn't bad. If the current is too bad, they shuttle you up to Cox's park and it is all downstream. That happened 2 years ago. Otherwise, half upstream, half down.

Bike course (Oly) middle third has some hills, you go across the bridge into IN (watch the bridge joints, first year they didn't have all of them covered and caused a couple wrecks) and then immediately come back across (watch the turn at the bottom of the bridge, huge wreck last year). Then go out River Rd (flat, with wind) until you climb up Blankenbaker, long semi-steep climb. Ride out Brownsboro Rd is rolling hills, last part is all on River Rd and all flat as a pancake, but usually into the wind. Fairly challenging bike course (esp if the wind kicks up), fun. Best part of the race.

Run (Oly) is across the bridge again into IN and along the river over there. Boring flat run over there. But the transition area and finish are on the Great Lawn, right downtown on the River and pretty nice. Little bit of a run from swim exit to T1.

I haven't done the sprint but I looked at the course on the website. Bike turnaround is before all the hills begin on Blankenbaker Road, so the only "climb" is across the 2nd Street Bridge and back. Otherwise, all flat on River Road, out with wind usually and back against usually. Run turns around on the bridge, so all of your run is downtown and you don't go into IN, which is a good thing. In past years they have had problems with enough volunteers at aid stations over there, and getting water. First year one water stop was using a hose to fill up discarded cups. I think they solved that problem.

Hey, it isn't a bad race. It comes at a bad time for me this year, gearing up for IM MOO. Otherwise, I would do it. May still. Or volunteer. Did that last year.
Last edited by: bluemonkeytri: Jul 20, 05 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, swimming in the OH River is not as bad as you think.

This was the first year for the Buffalo Trails (Duathlon) Triathlon to hold a triathlon in Maysville, KY. It was a blast swimming in the river. The race was held Memorial day weekend, so the water was a but nippy but it felt good. You could see at least 2 to 3 feet under the water. Of all the athletes that I ran into later on in the season, no one had any 3rd arms or 3rd eyes or became a "teenage mutant ninja turtle"! :-)

If I was not going to be out of town July 31, I would be coming down from Columbus to to the race.

Go for it Marisol. You will have something to talk about afterwards

Don
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [Du2Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! But if I look at the ohio river here in cincy, it is SCARY! But I'll take you guys word on it and probably go if the girls go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marisol,
I live in L-ville but have never done the race-it just never fit into my race schedule. However, I have gone down to watch it and it's always seems like a well organized race. Really pretty venue too, at our relatively new waterfront park. Swimming in the river is no big deal as long as the weather in days prior to the race is calm-rainy weather causes lots of debris in the water. They say the river is no more polluted than any of the lakes around. My friends have not reported any swim problems. It's a pretty flat course, a few minor climbs on the bike. The bike turn around brings you back up River Road which is pretty fast. I haven't decided if I'm going to do it. THere's a Oly race too, you know.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I know about the oly but those are too hard for me right now. I'll be likely doing a 6 hours brick friday, long run saturday , then the race. It's easy to pull off a sprint when tired, but not so much an oly.. Plus I am doing a half IM the following week. Maybe we'll have a ST gathering in Louisville LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't a pretty sight here either. But not bad. If you come down the night before, let me know and I'll direct you to restaurants or whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Maybe we'll have a ST gathering in Louisville LOL![/reply]

Sure! let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri America Louisville [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not too bad. As long as the river is moving
then it seems better. What bothers me is water
not moving. Why, I was at Springfield Ironhorse
on that dreaded day, and was tested positive with
lepto that just kicked my ass for about 10 days.

So when I saw the Ohio River moving, not a problem.
I have done it the last 2 years and no growth yet.
Also did Buffalo Trails and not a problem.

I like the race site and transition. Nice backdrop for
racing. Also you get to bike and run into IN. Now,
the bike part is ok, the run is cool. More time to
look out.

That bad wreck off the bridge was 2 years ago, and
involved one of our club members. It was bad, then
last year they really coned off that turn. Hopefully
no numb nuts biker will come off the bridge and
take the inside of the turn. If they do, accident all
over again. Hopefully they will use there heads.

Great description of the bike course on earlier thread.

way I like it. Willrace this one and not Officiate. Need
to re-engage racing. Last race was IM CDA and still
feeling it. Sucks.
Quote Reply