Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pretend you're a bike shop...what brands would you carry?
Quote | Reply
A LBS in my area that has been strictly road for many years has seen the light (I suspect it is the growth curves actually) and tell me they are going to start carrying tri bikes. They claim to have just hired a guy who knows the tri biz but are checking with existing customers for feedback on tri bike brand recommendations. Since I want them to be successful and stick with it I was thinking of steering them to the major "mass appeal" brands such as QR, Cervelo and Felt. They are currently a big Trek, Felt and Calfee dealer. Maybe it's just me but Cannondale doesn't seem to popular here on the West Coast.

What would you recommend? I didn't really want to point out niche companies like Guru, Javelin, etc even though there are a ton of great bike companies these days. This is kinda fun actually...get to pretend you run a shop without any of the risk or work.
Quote Reply
Re: Pretend you're a bike shop...what brands would you carry? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt and Cervelo. Maybe Fuji and Nineteen.

QR has some good bikes, but now that they are part of the ABG juggernaut they will probably require a massive order for the shop to carry the bikes. I think Litespeed and QR are headed to hell in a handbasket unless ABG sells them off soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Pretend you're a bike shop...what brands would you carry? [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pretend you're a bike shop...what brands would you carry? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They already have a relationship with Felt and Calfee so stick with that since they both make really nice tri bikes. Add in Cervelo and I think thats a quality initial lineup - lots of choice at the mid-to-high end (P3, Luna, Tetra, S22, B2, P2K, Dual ) and at least a couple of selections at the lower end (One and S32).

OT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike-

I'm way ahead of you, I already sent my three-page list to the guy they just hired who "knows the tri biz". He is a good guy too. Cervelo and Felt topped my list for Tri frames. I also added Kestrel (very popular on the west coast), QR, and Aegis (personal bias as I like my Trident a lot). Cannondale would be nice, but they're not the local dealer so they might not be able to carry them.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the shop can successfully shake their 'arrogant roadie' image and successfully solicit our business. More realistic prices wouldn't hurt either. It could be good.

J

ps. Geysers tomorrow with Ted @ 7:30 from airport if you're interested. Regular group @8:00 as usual.
Quote Reply
Re: Pretend you're a bike shop...what brands would you carry? [jeffm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds great Jeff. I would love to see them carry Kestrel as well since I ride one and want to see the new KM40 in size 700 that is coming out. I have a race tomorrow so no-go on the ride but be sure to work that dude. IM Hawaii awaits!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pretend you're a bike shop...what brands would you carry? [jeffm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adding Softride or some other non-traditional-design bike to their tri-bike line up would go a long way in helping them shake the "arogant roadie image" you mentioned.

I love hypothetical posts like this 'cause I'm great at spending other people's money. Unfortunately, I don't do such a bad job in blowing through my own neither.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply