Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How is your swimming going? [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, just getting excited about swimming again.

Was recently out in Colorado Springs for the weekend and had the opportunity to have Mike Doane take a short look at my swim stroke. Made a couple of small adjustments at well as showing me the proper way to use my hips to drive the stroke. Worked on it for about a week and am already seeing some great results. Stroke is holding up much longer, and DPS has gone up as well.

Went back to Masters last week for the first time in a month where I had been swimming only 3000-5000yds a week and was able to lead my regular lane no problem for a 3500m workout. Very encouraging and has me looking forward to going to the pool again.

Any drills you can suggest to help the transition from the old style stroke that was based on sculling to the newer stroke focused on swimming with the core and high elbows? I'm already a decent swimmer (top 5% in my races), but I think I can make some serious improvements with this new stroke and some dedicated pool time.

Also making sure to getting out and enjoying the summer when I can get away from the office. Went to a Dave Matthews concert this past Sunday night with a group of friends and am meeting up with a hot little blonde for sushi this evening :)

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Doug... I was wondering where you went.... not seeing you at NYAC.

My swimming is ok, but I believe I have gotten slower this season. I genuinely think that I have lost upper body muscle mass, and therefore strength, in the last six months. I guess it's a trade off since I have been spending more time on the bike, etc. As you probably know, I left the water first in all my races last year... this year, not the case. Pace car doesn't have my name on it anymore...

See you soon.

David
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [Bob Parr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. I believe wetsuits tarnish the purity of the sport. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug,

Generally lurk here, but thought I'd chime in. I Reckon my swimming has improved on less volume this year. I am a BOP IM swimmer, but completed swim leg of IM Switzerland at the weekend in 75 mins - a PR by 4 mins (vs last year on the same course). I swam easy, felt relaxed and happy throughout and on reflection could probably have gone harder.

All in all, I think my swim set me up for my better than expected performance on what was a tough course and a VERY hot day.

Am I naive to assume that by addressing the frequency/volume issue I will get quicker? Understand that my technique will become a limiting factor at some point as I have been swimming front crawl for only a couple of years. Is that the point to get a coach/lessons or should I start going to masters classes now?

Thanks.

JC
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will give you that point. I just do not know how to get faster. I am ok at distances other than olympic, where the swim is a little less important. Interlochen is an example of how you can lose a race in the swim. I do not know what happened, but I sucked big time in the water. These races are too hard to chase young-ins all day after spotting them big leads. Maybe I should switch to duathlons. What races do you have planned for the rest of the year. If you are going to Mark Mellon, I might sign up and have a shot at the title. I like the short swim, long bike, long run aspect of this race.

Gar

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy's Law,

You can run in the water immediately.

Some movement will aide the healing process. Use your sense of physical well being in judging the effort level.

Take care,

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Mellon is a great race, but I am signed up for Steelhead that weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [Mark in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Do some one arm swim shere you focus on leading your hip. It keeps your shoulder up and allows you to pull straight back.

Imagine the palm of your hand says hip. When you see it, start you hip moving.

Have a great summer.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [David in NY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DAvid,

My guys are off for the summer so I am not at the NYAC.

After each swim workout do some press ups. They will help maintain your strength. Are you catching people on the bike?

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do agree.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Catching people on the bike? No! Being caught by people on the bike!

Enjoy the summer!
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [UK Jay Cee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JC

A coach/technician will help you get the most out of your training with the least amount of effort.

My coach used to say, "the strong will take it from the weak but the smart will take it from the strong."

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where the heck should I be looking when I breathe. Toward the wall, right?
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [jtang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jtang,
Your brethe should be taken towards the beginning of the stroke. As our shouldrs roll look 90 degrees to the side. Never look behind it throws our body off balance.
DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
JC

A coach/technician will help you get the most out of your training with the least amount of effort.

My coach used to say, "the strong will take it from the weak but the smart will take it from the strong."

DougStern

Doug -- please stop helping people -- I like my big lead out of the water.

Just joking :-) Hope your summer is great.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tanks Doug, every bit of info helps. Love the practical swimming info you give, one of my favorites for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been avoiding this thread (since it's not about bikes!) but here goes.

One thing that sucks living in a rural area is we do not have an indoor pool locally. During the winter months i have to drive to the nearest small city for my weekly 8:00 AM Sunday morning swim. During the summer I have two training options - my 36 ft long backyard pool and the local lake (full of small motor boats, etc).

Also living in a rural area, there is no access to a master's program or coach. I've done the next best thing and purchased the Total Immersion package and have been working on the drills. Hoping to shave a few minutes off the swim this year at my "A" race.

If I ever move from the hinterland back to civilization, you can be darn sure that I'll pick a place that has a great pool facility.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're just pissed because I came out on your heels. Man, I was kinda pleased with the swim. I guess I must suck really bad also.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [deeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you do really suck bad also.

What I am pissed about is that you sprinted by me in the shallow water and got a faster swim time than me!!!

Still, big props to you for finishing despite the 2 blown tubes! I do not know if I would have been as gracious as you were.

"Why do they keep inventing new ways to celebrate mediocrity" -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fully will admit that I did sprint to get to the mat before you. Really funny stuff.

Sunday's ride should be a beaut. Be prepared for attacks aplenty
Quote Reply
Re: How is your swimming going? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We need to make your home 36' pool into an endless pool.
You can rig latex tubing to one end and tether the other end to your waist.
The tubing, when stretched should come within five feet of the far end.
You can do loads of inrtervals with short rest.
You can also make a bench with a slight incline and use your stretch cords on land. I use a metronone to keep pace.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depressingly, but thanks for asking..

I spent a month on vacation, swimming in the Agean every day. Every other day was 2-3km, intervals based on the location of the beach umbrellas that day, usually 5-6min hard, 1min stroke, etc. On run days, 10min out with the wind/chop, 12-14min back into it, depending on wind speed/wave height.

Normally I swim about 3000m/week in a single Master's session. After all that OW swimming, none of my times has changed a bit. Still stuck on 7m/500scy and so on up. . I'm a bit baffled now, not sure what I could do to improve. I do feel as if I'm swimming better, but there's no objective confirmation of it.

My last 4 swims at Boulder tri (time includes 150m uphill run to T1): 25:50, 25:49, 24:50, 25:50
I confidently predict another 25:50 on Sunday.. oh well.

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply

Prev Next