Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quality Diet (newbie education series)
Quote | Reply
What are some good foods to eat? I, like many, got into the sport both to challenge myself and to lose weight. However, I don't want training to be hampered by a poor diet. I am an ex wrestler, so losing weight to me is stop eating, and work my ass off....however I know that is not healthy and won't help in the long run.

Problem #2- I love pasta, bread, rice....I am not a carb counter or anything, just wondering if those are good foods to eat when I am trying to balance weight loss with good nutrition.

Thanks for all tips you can give.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I really appreciate the help given at this website. This sport is incredible, but also incredibly daunting. There are so many beautiful bikes, and so much information, it is mind blowing. All the advice that you veterans give is incredibly appreciated by all of us newbs.

Quote | Reply
Check out the nutrition tips on Gordo's site...good stuff.

Pasta, bread and rice are good if you use the whole-grain variety (in the case of rice, go with brown rice over white). The whole-grain pastas on the market today taste a lot better than what was sold in the past.

Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Stay away from:
  • high fructose corn syrup
  • processed foods
  • trans fat
  • saturated fat
  • excessive amounts of sugar

This is just a start...I'm sure others will add.

Good luck,

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Quality Diet (newbie education series) [newbie5317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a good rule of thumb is to eat things that can be hunted or gathered.

so that leaves you with vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, things from the sea, and land/air animals.

in general i combine alot of fruits and or vegetables with protein. this is a good way to get fiberous carbs with proteins...eating them together encourages stabilized blood sugar and better absorption of nutrients.

i don't know how much you're training, but generally I eat pasta on Friday night (to support the hard weekend training or racing), and then again post workout.

example: if you ride for 2 hours, then afterwards, eat a starchy carb within 2 hours. if you train 3 hours, then eat starcy carb within 3 hours post workout, and so on.

since I'm trying to loose weight too, i only eat pasta after a truly hard or long session. so if I'm taking it easy in the pool for an hour, then i don't eat starchies after that.

the other thing is to take it easy on beer and dairy. beer will go straight to your fat stores. if you really want a beer, drink it post long/hard workout (I do this sometimes and it has not effected my weight loss...but is only like 1 or 2 beers not more than that). if you must drink, then limit it to one or two glasses of red wine with dinner.
Quote Reply
Re: Quality Diet (newbie education series) [newbie5317] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that it is not nearly as hard as some make it out to be, just use your common sense about nutrition. If you think that something is bad for you, it most likely is. Stay away from most processed foods. If you can heat a meal in the microwave it is bad for you (i don't care if the packae says otherwise). Try to stick with lean meats, fish, and chicken. Carbs are NOT the enemy. Eat a salad with every dinner possible, adn go easy on the ranch dressing. Snack on nuts or veggies. You can eat some potato chips if the ingredients are -Potatoes, oil, salt. Also it helps to give up the soda - all kinds. Limit the beer/wine/cock tails. When I cut these out totally from my diet (prerace) it is usually good for about 5lbs in a week.

If you were an athelete you should drop the lbs pretty quickly. I have lost 20+ lbs, most of which came in the first 10 wks. I never made any real sacrifices in my diet, just limited the crap and worked out about one hour a day.

The best thing about beign a triathlete is you get to eat pretty much what ever you want - just ask a FoodSlut.

Welcome to the club - we've got t-shirts

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Quality Diet (newbie education series) [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] take it easy on beer.[/reply]

Whoa!!! Lets not start saying things we can't take back.

Beer is fine in moderation. I know the South Beach book claims it is really bad due to the high glycemic index of maltose, the main ingredient (besides water).

However during ferementation most of the sugars in the malt are consumed by the yeast resulting in byproducts alcohol & carbonation.

The glycemic index of beer after fermentation is so low it cannot be measured.

Please, no more pot shots at my favorite (post) sports drink.
Quote Reply