Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How would you build a 15 pound bike?
Quote | Reply
Is it posssible to build a 15-16 pound bike? I don't have the cash for the high end, name brand bike. How does the Supergo branded stuff compare? There are lots of experts on this forum so there should be some good ideas!
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [dusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Single speed with carbon frame
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have to go high end.

A few years ago Fuji made a road bike called the Team SL that was 15-16 lbs. It was under $2000 when new. You could probably find one on ebay fairly cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you consider high end, but my Calfee Tetra / 51cm 650c wheeled bike is 15.5 pounds. And that it with standard Dura Ace, but carbon everything else, plus the 135g Sella SLR saddle, and 99g Syntace stem. Shimano Dura Ace WH7700 wheels, lightweight tubes/tires.

I'm guessing most would consider that frame high end, though.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my goal at the moment as well. I have a 2001 Giant TCR Zero Frame and fork that I picked up for $480. I am using Ultegra for the most part. I picked up a great deal on a compact Mega Exo crank set for $130. I am using a pazzaz stem (137G) that I got for $20.00. I just keep looking for great deals on parts. Ebay has helped. My LBS is great and gets me some great deals as well. I am now getting some Carbon Easton bars and post. Also picked up a pair of titanium speedplay pedals for $120. The biggest problem I see is with the wheels. I have to get a nice light pair for a great deal. Anyone have some suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compact drivetrain with a straight block on the back. No bar tape. Minimal cables. Maybe go with one chainring. That means no front der, and no need for a front shifter. Lightest saddle you can find. Brew brakes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels are always the problem on this type of build. If you are willing to go with a tubular take a look at the Reynolds Cirro SV. You can sometimes find them on eBay for a lot less then you would pay for a set of Zipp 202s.

If you want clinchers... American Classic Sprint 350s are light but not very strong. Other wise build a wheelset with the American Classic Ultralight hubs, 28 revolution spokes and Mavic Open Pro rims. They should come in around 1450g. Rolf also makes the elan but it is expensive.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< Compact drivetrain with a straight block on the back. No bar tape. Minimal cables. Maybe go with one chainring. That means no front der, and no need for a front shifter>>

Then, you will have a very light uncomfortable and unusabale bike. Great, the bike will pass the lifting in air wow this weigh nothing test.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [Pluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy asked how to build a light bike. I answered.

And I didn't even resort to a drill...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we assume this means you're raising the bullshit flag on that suggestion?

;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you gave him a good answer. Your reply will allow him to meet his requirements. I just can't see the importance of having a 15 pounds weight target. People tend to lift my bike and say – “wow it is so fast” or “hmm… it is not as light as I thought it would be”. I am not going to invest cash in unusable components, so that fat burger king addicts can be impressed.

For a bike to be strong, comfortable fast and light, you have to pay $$$$. Some of the proposals in eariler posts will allow him to have a light bike that he can only use for winter training on flat roads with a sirloin steak down his lycra shorts.

I invested too much time thinking about saving weights – but this when I was a cycling magazines reader and a professional cycling poseur. Then I started cycling more seriously and joined a cycling club. Many of our club members smoke me up the hills on heavy steel bikes. And occasionally I pass riders who have TREK 5.9s, Colnago C50s and even (god forbid) Cervelos R2.5s and Soloists. (My current road bike is light but not top end - CAAD5 Cannondale with Ultegra).

And I am way faster on my much heavier TT bike.

Last edited by: Pluto: Jul 15, 05 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<an we assume this means you're raising the bullshit flag on that suggestion? >>

No I raised the BS flag on anything I post and have posted. And I envied guys like you with your impressive signatures. I also wanted to be a president, CEO, Senior ZEN coach, Lifetime Performance Scientist or at least an ex ironman champion. I also wanted to have my own pluto.com website. But because I am a nobody, I decided to go for current signature – which is of course lots of BS.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With someone else's money.
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best response yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few USCF hillclimb TT medals to my credit, all on Softrides. My main rig is a TiCycles Softride (I got ti because it never rusts, not because it's light), Ultegra with the ti bolt kit (hey, I had extra cash to burn), Brew brakes... And 36 spoke wheels. My race wheels are lighter, but that's what I train on.

My TT rig is a Paul Barkley Softride, steel, with straight Ultegra, used to be a road rig (got my first hillclimb TT medal on that one) that I converted to tri/TT config.

So I know that a light bike is NOT the holy grail. Believe me. I remember an OLD Bicycle Guide project where they went for the lightest rideable bike... No bar tape, but they had some painted-on stuff that provided some grip, one chainring, one brake, aluminum cogs... It was ridiculously light, and wouldn't have made it to the finish line of ANY race I've ever done.

Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You don't have to go high end.

A few years ago Fuji made a road bike called the Team SL that was 15-16 lbs. It was under $2000 when new. You could probably find one on ebay fairly cheap.[/reply]

They still make it. Still around $2000 and 15lbs, full Ultegra.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With very light parts!! : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [The Cynic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with this bike. Looks like an incredible value to me...especially if the rider isn't pushing 200lbs (where the wheels and carbon steerer become a little suspect).

ot
Quote Reply
Re: How would you build a 15 pound bike? [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was going to get one, but then they sold out (now they're back). Got this one instead:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/...motobecane/spt05.htm

Full 2005 Ultegra, reasonable wheels, $1095 (free shipping). Had my first ride yesterday. Love it. Yes it's a triple; I have no shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Motobecane at Bikesdirect.com $1095. 15.2lb. s pedals.

It's a double

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Jul 15, 05 16:32
Quote Reply