Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frankie Andreau
Quote | Reply
How long ago did Frankie leave or get let go from the USPS/Disco US team?
Quote Reply
Re: Frankie Andreau [shakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his last Tour was 2000 or 2001?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2001 he retired from riding.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Frankie Andreau [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did he leave the US team as the Director Sportif?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankie resigned from the U.S. Postal Team after making a decision that he wanted to start a family and move into other parts of the industry, such as broadcasting, promotion, motivational speaking and so forth.

His wife, Betsy, and their parents had a beautiful wedding on New Years Eve the year they were married and now have three kids- Frankie, Marta and Steven. The oldest is a boy who looks just like Frankie and rides. I think little Frankie is about 6 or 7. Nice kid.

Frankie is most definately not retired from riding. He races here occasionally and rides frequently with us in the morning. He can 28-30 mph for an hour quite easily. The only person around here who approaches his strength is Superdave, who holds ever time trial record now at the local velodrome.

I think Frankie left the team after 2001. He also rode for one season with the French team Cofidis.

Now Frankie is working on a number of projects, including priduct development and promotion for Cambiatta, broadcasting for OLN, running training camps with Discover Adventures, writing freelance and coaching for a short list of private clients.

Frankie is fine guy and a great friend. He sat in the front row at my best friend, Michael R. Rabe's funeral, and I sat at a table full of top pros at his wedding with two empty chairs- one for Lance and his date, while he battled cancer. I clearly remember the day Frankie came in when he was on his way to the hospital in Indiana to see Lance. Frankie said, somewhat ominously, "Lance is not too good now. This may be it...." We were in shock. Everyone was.

It is hard to characterize exactly what makes Frankie such a good guy- but I can tell you it doesn't have anything to do with his ability to ride a bike. He's honest, forthright, open and quick to help when you are in need of it. On more than one occasion he has been my only friend to address difficult and sensitive personal issues in our neighborhood that no one else had the courage or candor to address. That is a true friend and a good character.

Great guy- rare chracter, major enthusiast and a fine father/husband. When you look at everything else that is wrong with the sport of cycling- I think Frankie is what is right.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Frankie Andreau [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can definitely tell he's from MI, strong SE Michigan accent. Every time he does an interview on OLN my wife’s says "there’s the guy from Michigan" (I’m from Shelby Twp and my wife is from Toledo). Frankie does a great job for OLN and I'm enjoying his daily bike tech reports.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Frankie Andreau [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw him doing his piece on how the Tour it put on TV. He's a solid broadcaster. I was thinking he's a good candidate to become more mainstream.

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom. I remember him being with US Postal as the Director for the US team for a while and then I didn't see or hear anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He worked as director for Shroeder Iron for a year as well., I think that was '03.

I can remember a group ride in Dearborn I did about 10 years ago. I was new to the group and did not live locally, bu showed up to their big Wednesday night hammerfest.

Before the ride started, I saw this tall dude ride up and I looked him over in his complete Motorola kit, Caloi bike, and all those team issue nuts and bolts, leaned over to my friend and said, who does this guy think he is?

(in my best Napolean voice), "IDIOT!"

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting insight, Tom. I was lucky enough to meet Frankie last month when (the legendary) Mario Bonano took me to watch the Critirium on the Ford site. He struck me as a very genuine guy with a mischievous side to him, certainly he came over as a nice guy.

Only yesterday Bryce and I were discussing a section in "Tour de Force" that mentions how people that disagree with Lance find themselves out of the team PDQ and were surprised that Frankie's name was in that category. From your comment it would appear we were correct in questioning that.

Oh, and Frankie still has the power on the bike. He rode in the lead and took the majority of the tows for the hour that we were there and then pulled over on the penultimate lap to let the "studs" have their time in the sun. Super nice guy!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply