Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub
Quote | Reply
So I had a little bit of a hissy fit when I realized my shiny new Shimano 11-speed drive train wasn't going to work with my Lemond Revolution trainer (you know the one with the cassette mounted directly to the flywheel).

After searching for a work around, I found one! My compliments to Wayne Stetina for this idea.

Here is what I did:
  • I used a standard 1mm 10-speed Shimano cassette spacer behind the largest cog
  • I mounted the Shimano 11-speed cassette, but without the smallest cog (my 11T cog)
  • I used an 12T cassette lock-nut to fit on the 12T cog
  • I tightened everything down
Here is a picture:

So essentially what I did was take the 11-speed and turn it into a useable 10-speed. It isn't ideal and I lose my 11T which stinks for high intensity intervals, but it works.... It will also work on standard 10-speed wheels.

I know there are other people with this same issue, so perhaps it can help them.

To preempt any haters out there, I am only using this set-up on my trainer because Lemond has yet to offer an 11-speed freehub body. ALL of my new wheels are Shimano 11-speed.

Cheers,

Kevin

http://www.triandcatchme.com
https://twitter.com/kevintaddonio
Last edited by: kevintaddonio: Mar 21, 13 14:40
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [kevintaddonio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another option, one that doesn't require an extra lockring:

Get the 11-25 cassette (so that's 11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25) and drop out the 16 tooth cog and 1 spacer and then you get an 11-25 10-sp cassette, but with 11-sp spacing (in this new combo: 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this guys. Any updates on a new 11-speed free hub body from Lemond?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do u use the original 11 speed STI and RD? or you need to change them to 10?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a shame because I am sure they get their freehubs from *someone*, probably from some taiwanese manufacturer so I bet the freehub is out there if you knew what to look for. But you have a good solution there.

Do you have to adjust your derailleur at all when setting it up? What about the limiters or do you just remember not to shift?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any follow up that this solution is still working for u? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lemond trainers use an Easton R4 freehub body. Available everywhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [beaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't use this trainer, but if you don't want to buy a new freehub, you can also do this:
(it's very easy and, for most gear combos, it's also free):

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I don't use this trainer, but if you don't want to buy a new freehub, you can also do this:

Chucked a cassette up in my lathe and shaved it down in two minutes. Works like a charm! I highly recommend the darkspeedworks solution.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the event anyone is still looking to upgrade their 10 speed Lemond Revoluion to 11 speed the Easton R4 freehub solution does not work. The Lemond freehub is very similar to the R4, but the R4 does not fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Chucked a cassette up in my lathe and shaved it down in two minutes. Works like a charm! I highly recommend the darkspeedworks solution.

Is there a reason no one mills the freehub body instead of the cassette? Then you would only have to do it once if you want to replace the cassette or swap gear ratios?

There are a few shimano 11 speed mountain bike cassettes designed to work on a 10 speed freehub and I think they are compatible with road derailleurs but only in wide range.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 11sp working on 10sp freehub [Anachronism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anachronism wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Is there a reason no one mills the freehub body instead of the cassette? Then you would only have to do it once if you want to replace the cassette or swap gear ratios?

There are a few shimano 11 speed mountain bike cassettes designed to work on a 10 speed freehub and I think they are compatible with road derailleurs but only in wide range.

In my case it was a matter of expediency. It was a lot easier to chuck the cassette body into the lathe than it would have been to disassemble the freehub body and then chuck it up. In addition, the freehub body is steel while the cassette body was aluminum so the cutting time was significantly shorter.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply