Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shiv Owners, Fuselage- Any engineers out there. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice artwork :)

But that would only work if the fuselage lid was secure and watertight, which it is not.

If the big problem is fumbling with and securing the Shiv straw, work on solving that problem (maybe stronger magnet and a couple zip ties?)

Tying the 2 hydration systems together is likely to solve 0 problems and create 3 or 4 new ones.

Btw, love my brand new Shiv Pro Race X1, but have been waiting for 2 months for Specialized to get new fuselages in stock. Mine came without 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Owners, Fuselage- Any engineers out there. [carmody13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my Shiv for 5 years. Never had a problem with the fuselage. I use a piece of radiant floor tubing to help it down the frame. It's stiff but has some flex to it. Works well for me. I think you just need to practice. Sometimes I can get it to drop in the first try. Other times it takes 3-4 tries but never had a time where it wouldn't go.
I can usually get about 22-24oz of fluid in it. Never had a problem re-filling while riding.
Did find the magnet on the drink valve wasn't strong enough and the tube would pop off every bump I hit. Got a slightly larger/stronger magnet and epoxied it to the tubing about 6-7" up from the valve. I didn't want the magnet on the aerobar up near my hands and with the magnet on the end of the tube it made a loop in the tubing that was up close to my face. By epoxying the tube 6-7" up from the end, it's away from my face but still long enough to drink from.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Owners, Fuselage- Any engineers out there. [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I will try your method with the magnet / epoxy. I have heard that a stronger magnet makes a huge improvement. Can you explain a bit more how you used the radiant floor tubing (size, etc)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically it's just a 24" piece of 1/2" radiant tubing. Had it left over from a job I did. You could use something thicker if you wanted. I'll stick it in the bladder then work the bladder into the frame. I find you have to go forward towards the fork for the first 5-6" then start angling towards the rear to get it down the head tube. If you don't put anything in the bladder to keep the shape, the bottom half tends to bunch up and you can only get about a 1/2" water bottle of liquid in there. Once you do it a few times you figure out how to get it in.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Owners, Fuselage- Any engineers out there. [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, I will give it a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggled with keeping the hose secure in my aerobars. I found an awesome solution and tested it at St. George 70.3 last weekend. It worked perfect. I bought this camelback clip and taped one piece to my aerobar with black electrical tape. The other side just clips on to the Shiv tube. It is really easy to use and clips in securely with one hand. I don't have any issues with it at all. I also switched to a camelback bite valve instead of the original. Works so much better.
Also, I run a Zipp BTA for my Tailwind/nutrition bottle. This combo is a winner for me.

Here is a link to the camelback clip

https://www.backcountry.com/...Ojw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by: jbflyfisher: May 12, 17 22:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next