Re: Any men wearing womens Tri and running clothing? [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
Livetotri wrote:
Cycling jersey, yes. More tight.

Bottom, no. Never.

Eli,

So you are saying you have man boobs?

BTW, I'm racing that yellow P3 you sold me in Savageman this weekend.

Have you seen female triathletes? We don't have boobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Any men wearing womens Tri and running clothing? [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is from a woman's perspective, but I wouldn't see a problem with it. There is a large variety of chamois pads in women's tri shorts; not all of them work for me so I wouldn't expect them to all work for you. You would just have to test them out to see what works.

I did have a funny encounter in a bike shop a couple of years ago. I ride men's bikes because they fit better, but I put a specific women's saddle on all of my bikes. I was there to pick up a bike and one of the sales guys asked if I would mind if someone else sat on it to get a feel for the saddle. The guy was having a hard time finding anything that supported his sit bones but didn't have a wide nose. He sat on the bike and declared the saddle to be the most comfortable that he had ever encountered. I walked over, he realized the bike was mine, took a close look at the writing on the saddle, and refused to buy one because it was for women. I told him to just use a sharpie to cover the writing so no one would know (the saddle is solid black). He was just too freaked out by it. He would rather ride in pain than ride something designed for a woman. I thought that was so stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Any men wearing womens Tri and running clothing? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Happy,

That is a funny story indeed, and another sad example how the patriarchy hurts men too. And this time the hurt is apparently literal.

As part of the work I participated in with the UW biomedical engineering department on saddle comfort, we found that the differences in ischial tuberosity spacing within men and women is larger than between men and women. This means there are plenty of men who should consider wider saddles, many of which are marketed to women. In the last several years we've finally started seeing wider saddles, even in some men's models. Progress sometimes comes slowly.

For me, the bottom line is summed up by a wise parent who said: "You're in charge of your own body," and "look the way you want to look."

In this case I interpret that to apply as: if the shorts fit, you can wear them.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny but true!!! I have so many mates in our crossfit box who feel more comfortable wearing women's track pants for mobility reasons. Mobility and flexibility are crucial elements especially if you're into marathons and weightlifting.

This is a typical issue with RTW clothing. You can have it altered but it's more expensive I'm guessing. So whatever makes you feel comfortable, just wear it. Who are we to judge, right? ;) What's important is you can execute the movements correctly and be able to avoid any possible injuries.
Last edited by: lily.h3mmant: Jun 28, 17 17:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Only swimclothing.

On a serious note: try different brands, and more specifically look at italian brands as their sizing can be real small. I need an S or XS for most brands, but find that italian brands have me going for a L sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Any men wearing womens Tri and running clothing? [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good friend of mine was at a sporting goods store in Iowa. Saw a pair of Iowa running shorts he really liked but they were that nike women's cut (if you're a runner you'll know the difference between that men and women's cut). He didn't care, he wanted the Iowa running shorts. He wore them all the time with no issues.

YMMV.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gall1972 wrote:
Any men wearing womens Tri and running clothing?

Why stop at Tri and Running clothes?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next