Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Low testosterone [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your episodes are coinciding with something, whether it is when you'd normally have a period, ovulate, or something else. I hope you can pinpoint the cause!

My doctor told me that both testosterone levels were low, so in my mind there has to be something going on other than the spironolactone. Either way, I requested another doctor who will hopefully answer my questions.
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [jl2732] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few studies going on now that are suggesting that endurance training is a culprit of lower testosterone levels in women. Also looking into how overtraining affects hormonal balance.

It is an older article but would be worth digging into more to see what is new on the forefront. At the time there was insufficient subjects to study.
http://coachsci.sdsu.edu/csa/vol13/urhause1.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope sto reads this post. Clearly she's overtraining. :)

Seems like there hasn't been enough research done in this area (unfortunately, that's not very surprising). Would be interested to read any new studies that are coming out. Anyone have any links?
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
I hope sto reads this post. Clearly she's overtraining. :)

Seems like there hasn't been enough research done in this area (unfortunately, that's not very surprising). Would be interested to read any new studies that are coming out. Anyone have any links?
Yeah I figure she will want to rip my eyes out. I don't mean to stir controversy. I will look on PubMed for the links. Something for folks to remember (again, not trying to stir a pot) is that hormone levels fall on a spectrum so just because someone might be on the lower end of normal, that may well be their normal, not necessarily "low". It is easier in men to figure that out because if they are on the lower end of normal and still have erections, then you know there is an adequate amount of hormone for their body so long as everything else checks out (thyroid, etc.).
There is a lot of controversy on adrenal fatigue and whether or not it is really a medical condition, as Addison's disease is the failure of the adrenals to produce corticosteroid and mineralocorticoids.

If women are having issues, then a good endocrinologist should be able to ferret out what is going on.

I will dig for the studies and see what is out there. My guess is little.
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/153/3/256.full
This one looks at why levels would be what they were. Not specific to athletes, but it does implicate birth control pills (or any hormone replacement) and removal of ovaries as reasons for low-T. It also found that higher body fat percentages lean towards higher T levels (think PCOS type stuff and it will make sense).

http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/...d+Interpretive/83686
This helps to explain for folks about the tests, what they mean and what else may be going on with women (infertility, etc). Lots of good information here but it is technical.

There was also an old article that referenced Caster Semenya, but it is on MSN so it is easily found. Bottom line on that was the experts conceded that there is no set range for female elite athletes in testing because hormones are a range of values. Anyway, looks like more research should happen in order to get answers.

That being said, birth control pills and hysterectomies (along with menopausal HRT) seem to be the biggest culprits. Ovarian failure is another one that was found to impact the levels as 25% of a woman's testosterone is produced there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next