Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help on bike size
Quote | Reply
Hi, I want to start doing some triathlons, but have never roadbiked much before, and am looking to purchase my first bike. I am looking at getting a used one to start out.

I am 6' 1/2" tall with a 34" inseam. At local bike shops, a 60cm bike fits me the best.

Can I fit on a 58" bike? Most advertisements I see say something to the effect of: Size 58cm, will fit anyone from 5'9" to 6'1".

Generally, if I bought a 58" bike, could I make it fit comfortably by adjusting the seat and handlebars? I don't want to get a 58" bike and it not fit. I just don't know enough about roadbikes yet to know what the fitting possiblilities are.

Maybe buying a used one that I have not mounted to test out is a bad idea...dunno.

***edit***

Bikes I have tried and seem to fit: Cannondale and Trek 60", Specialized 58" (but this is a compact frame, and their next size up is a 61", which is too big).

Yea, I have been to lots of LBS around here..was just wondering, for example, if the Cannondale 60" fit me best, with some modifications/adjustments, could I get a 58" to fit me...probably too hard to answer that

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by: Slider360: Jan 11, 03 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on bike size [Slider360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a good triathlon bike store that will measure you and make recommendations based on that. Take their recommendations if you trust them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on bike size [Slider360] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slider, welcome. We're the same hieght but you have a little bit of leg on me. I could advise based on that but I don;t know what bikes you are looking at and some are measured quite differently. You might need a 56 in one, and a 60 in another. I really think your best bet would be to contact a reputable tri-shop/LBS and let them know what you are up to. They might very well know of a used bike someone is trying to sell or they might have one available. The reason for the reputable shop is that they will work with you to get you on a bike that fits. Heading into a LBS that does not have significant experience with fitting triathletes is a crap shoot at best. Post your city, you will get recommendations.
Quote Reply