Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

labral tears
Quote | Reply
I am looking for anyone who has any experience with hip cartilage labral tears. I was training for IMAZ and was getting a little sore in the hip after a few big weeks. On the last day of my 3 week build, I was hit by a car on my sore side (lady passed me and turned into me, knocking me onto the hood of her car) and since then, I have been in a fair amount of pain walking and running is out of the question. It feels like there is a tight band around my upper quad. My psoas, illiacus, sartorius are all really sore and super tight. I also feel very tight and sore in my glutes, as well as my erector on the injured side Rotating, weight baring and lifting my leg hurts. My physio brought the labral tear as a possibility. What are the signs, is there anything that can be done to self-heal a bit? are swimming and riding doing more damage? what about water running? I am no longer racing Arizona, but am a pro and would like to get back to training and racing ASAP. thanks for any help and if more info is needed, I'll fill you in.
Cheers,
adam

Adam
http://cdamaampbell.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: labral tears [collisiontheory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in a very similar situation. I think I've probably just got tendinitis and inflamed muscles due to the tendinitis, however, it is not going away even though I haven't exercised since 12/15/2004. In fact, it is getting worse. I finally found a good orthopedic surgeon who took a look at me. He wouldn't hazard a guess as to what is wrong until he had seen an MRI. It could be an over-use injury but he is also concerned about a tear in the labrum. I just got the MRI and now the Dr is on vacation. I'll find out 4/1/05.

All of your symptoms sound just like mine. My suggestion is go straight to an orthopedic surgeon. I wasted a lot of time and money on PT and sports med. doctors and, if anything, they made the situation worse. I am convinced some of them knew less than I did about their specialty. There is not going to be any quick way to determine if soft tissue is torn other than an MRI.

The only hesitation I have going to an ortho. surgeon is that you might get a bad one who thinks he has to cut into everyone he sees. Regardless, if he suggests surgery, go somewhere else and get at least one more opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: labral tears [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply Tom.
I am sorry to hear that you have been on forced rest for such a long period of time. I am giving myself until next Monday before I go in for an MRI. I am lucky enough to have some world class physios and chiros around me and I trust their judgement immensely. I also agree that I am not a big fan of going under the knife. I found some research last night that recommends using glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate in combination to help reduce inflamation and help with cartilege damage. It's worth a try.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam:

1 - Labral tear is a difficult diagnosis to make. MRI is not a definitive test for it. Arthro MRI, when they inject dye into the hip first, then do the MRI, is better but not definitive either.

2 - We are still at an early stage in understanding what labral tears seen on hip arthroscopy mean i.e. just because you see a tear doesn't always mean that the hip symptoms are from it. Don't let anyone rush you into a scope for this - what you see on the MR is not always what hurts.

3 - I like glucosamine for articular cartilage problems / osteoarthritis, and take it myself, but if this is a labral tear, it will not help, it's not the same kind of cartilage. Not that it's a bad idea to take it anyway.

Good luck with itt,

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: labral tears [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Deke,
As I said in my previous post, I am in no hurry to be scoped. Thanks for the info on glucosamine, I figured that my internet research self-diagnosis was probably missing something.
In your experience, will riding aggrevate it further? Do you know of any exercises that will allow me to keep my legs moving without doing more damage?
thanks again,
Adam

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What has you so stuck on a cartilage tear? Isn't an overuse injury or muscle strain much more likely given that you are coming off several big weeks?
Quote Reply
Re: labral tears [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the reason that I am focusing on a labral tear is the motions that cause pain. Any kind of rotation or pivoting of the leg and also the way that I was twisted when I was hit by the car.
I haven't ruled out the possibility of a femoral stress fracture. I am going for an x-ray on Monday and will follow up with an MRI if necessary.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually labral tears are anterior, so whatever you do to exercise should be with minimal hip flexion and rotation. I agree with the comment above that it is more likely (playing the odds, and obviously without examining you) to be a muscle / tendon issue than a labral tear, your symptoms notwithstanding.

Deke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bringing this thread back to life.

Adam, what was the outcome? Was it a labral tear? And either way, what ended up happening?

Anyone else have experience with this? Symptoms? Treatment?
Last edited by: austin79: Mar 27, 07 13:48
Quote Reply