Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gels for Oly or not?
Quote | Reply
I get confused so here goes. Do you guys / gals use gels before or during an oly race? My anticipated time will be 2:10. I do not take them for sprints but is has been 1 year since an Oly and I can't remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Gels for Oly or not? [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use them, I raced at the weekend and had a gel 1 hr in to the race, shortly after felt a bit tired then the gel kick in and I never looked back. Find them useful as I can't eat a lot before the race (6.30am start), they also stop you having to use higher concentration drinks which can slow down hydration.

Remember, keep in touch with yourself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammergel suggests using gel (mixed in water) on the bike only. Just water on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the person. It works for me and I'm out there about the same amount of time as you are(did 2:07 in an Oly a couple of wks back). I took 2 - one during the bike and one leaving transition on the run, though I've noticed I tend to eat more than the avg person during a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to either hershel or jaylew. They are both on target. With your speed, you don't need that much.

One option is to have a gel at about mile 14-17 on the bike. That is what my plan was for my oly, and for just about all oly's i will do in the future.

it takes a leap of faith to trust that your body probably doesn't need too much...if anything...for an oly race (outside of having a bit of breakfast). I haven't taken a Hulk-like leap yet, but am getting there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One gel tape on the top tube and taken oly if needed. Usually 10-15 minutes prior to T2. I typically run better on a nearly empty stomach.
Quote Reply
Re: Gels for Oly or not? [M.S.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I normally bash a gel 5k's before the end of the bike.

How's about drinking? I'm a shade over two hours for Oly's and find it hard to hydrate aside from a a bit of water in my face, down my front during the run. Does anyone manage to keep anything down on the bike? I like running with an empty stomach too.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Gels for Oly or not? [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put down a full bottle in most Oly rides, which takes me btw 1 and 1:05.

Can't handle much fluid on the run though other than a swig and dump the rest on the head.
Quote Reply
Re: Gels for Oly or not? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would avoid dumping water on your head, and running under sprinkler systems. it can trick your body into thinking it is cool but it can overheat.

Bob
Quote Reply